Trailer technique 101?

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will be picking up my newly-acquired 1990 Thundercraft 1750 any day now - once I somehow get the rusted tow bar out of its receiver and replaced with a new one that raises the ball height. I will be brining it home (about 10 kms) with a Subaru Forester. I've been trailering a motorcycle for years but have 2 main zones of concern:

1. The tongue feels way light to me. The nuts and bolts holding the brackets holding the axle to the rails are obviously too rusted to consider attacking; same with the winch brackets. There is about 2 or 3 inches play remaining between the bow and the reel on the winch. How concerned should I be for this short trip? Shall I tighten the bow up tight to the reel?

2. I can secure the bike to a trailer with confidence using non-ratcheting tie-downs. This boat sits in the marine yard secured only by the bow strap on the winch. Should I simply use my existing tie-downs and is there a basic theory about tie-down placement? Or just snug the stern to the rails wherever?

TIA.
Stephen

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer technique 101?

As far as strapping it down, are there transom straps on it? I would wind the bow of the boat right up to the bump stop & then make sure you have the transom straps on good & tight. If there are transom straps on it now, make sure you undo them before you try to winch it up to the bump stop. It sounds to me like the trailer does not match the boat very well or it's not been cared for very well in the past. I would also have someone that knows about boats & boat trailers come & look it over for you before you try to move it. You don't see all those goofy pictures on the internet of boat & trailer mishaps on the highway for no reason.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are no straps on the boat as it sits. So presumably a pair of straps for the transom will be sufficient? The marina will of course make sure I have it secured properly, but I want to bring the right supplies with me.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yup, get some decent quality transom straps (you'll have them for a while). Bring the bow up to the stop, then cinch down the transom. You should be good to go (asuming the rest of the trailer is good to go).

One other thing, you mentioned the nuts and bolts are too rusted to consider attacking. My reccomendation would be to consider attacking and replacing them once you get them home. No need for rusted fasteners. Get a can of PB blaster and a good breaker bar.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you can even use a rope on the transom--you just have to have it tied so the boat won't roll/slide back off the trailer, or bounce up and off the bunks/rollers. At the bow end, tighten and more important, do not rely on the winch. most trailers have a chain attached near the winch that you hook to the bow eye, again so it won't slide back. You can tie it off with a rope for a short trip, too.

be sure you have safety chains attaching the trailer to the car, so if the ball/hitch assembly fails, the trailer remains attached.

sounds like you are in the market for a new trailer. get it home, wrench on it some, look around for a replacement; used trailers are cheap. But if your frame is good, it's not hard to replace the axles, springs, winch post and/or hitch.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Might even be worth jacking up each side and give the wheels a spin, check for slop in the bearings. Might be fine if you are close and not going fast, but the trailer from your description sounds like it could use a bit of maint. which would lead ME to believe the bearings might warrant a look.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good suggestions. I don't know if the trailer lights are all operational, wouldn't surprise me if there were issues there as well. After I get it home (maybe today?) I will think about bringing it to a shop to have the wheels and wiring looked after properly.

I may need to borrow a tow vehicle . . . talk about lack of maintenance, I can only blame myself for the fact that my ball and bar are rusted to my receiver. Still working on getting it off to put the 2 inch ball and riser on. I've sprayed it down with Release, we'll see how it goes today . . .

The marina promises to adjust the weight forward before I pick it up. I can lift the front of the trailer with 2 fingers as it is. I don't see how they will be able to do it, we'll see.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To get the reciever off you can try tapping with hammer, chain to a post and try pulling forward. My reciever sticks in tube, has since it was new. Good luck

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll try that FishingDude - - - as soon as I can remove the pin!

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

To get the reciever off you can try tapping with hammer, chain to a post and try pulling forward.

my mom used to have this explorer, the hitch got stuck in the reciever. i hooked a chain around it pulled the pin, then hooked the chain around a 4 foot round big tree. it didnt budge, so i took a torch heated it up and tried again to no avail, sprayed 1/2 a can of wd-40, figured it was best stuck in there. your only choice may be a new $200.00 reciever for the truck.

i've had it a few times when i load my boat it doesnt go up far enough 1inch of play against the bow stop is ok depending on how far your going 10 km is what 5 miles? you should be ok. transom straps or some sort of ratchet strap would be more advisable then a rope, you can never get the last bit of play out of a rope. i bought some 4k load 3 inch ratchet straps for my boat but its also a 6,300 lbs boat.

the main thing i would be concered about is pot holes and rail road tracks those will make your boat go wonky, bouncing up and down if you road is clean and smooth you shouldnt have any problems.

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep, if the reciever is rusted in there its probably not coming out. Used to put hitches on in college and people would come in to have us try and get them out. They normally ended up buying a new hitch.

Take your reciever out if your not using it, or don't use it often. It will get rusted in.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the comments - maybe this is karma's way of telling me I have no business putting a 2-inch ball on a Subaru Forester? lol. This way I am forced to keep my loads small. A friend with a Suburban has agreed to come with me to get the boat today and it seems I am the only country person without a beefy truck/SUV so I should be able to manage the launch as well, once I get her shined up. The launch is on my street.

As for straps, I have about 5 pairs of tie-down straps, I'll grab a pair for the job. I can hook onto the tow cleats on the transom and wrap around the trailer brace at the back.

Big day today.