Rust under distributor Cap and Rotor

rooke222

Cadet
I have 1984 Mercruiser 260 5.7L Thunderbolt Ignition IV. I have had trouble starting the engine this year and I decided to do a tune up. I have replaced the plugs, wires, and I hve bought a new Cap and Rotor. Before I install the new cap and rotor I wanted some advice on how I should clean up what is under the cap. There is a lot of build up and rust on the ( i think it is a ignition sensor) can I get away with sanding the terminals or should i replace this sensor?
P1010447.jpg
P1010445.jpg

Sea Buzzard

Cadet
Re: Rust under distributor Cap and Rotor

Save yourself a headache. Spend the money. I speak from experience.

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd just replace the sensor. It's about $25

rooke222

Cadet

Ok thanks guys,

I decided to replace The ignition sensor, rotor, cap, wires, plugs. The engine idles fine but when under load it backfires a bit and has lack of power.... I think my timing is off now... I have the timing light ready to go but I am confused with the part where it says to use a jumper wire to connect the two white wires from the distributor.. The only wires that come out of the distributor are the white/red and the white/green from the ignition sensor. Can anyone give me an idea how to install this jumper wire. This is a Thunderbolt IV 5.7 260hp Mercruiser.

Thanks in advance

dubs283

Vice Admiral

just time the ignition like the conventional method, you do not need to jumper any wires