oil pacity on 4.3 mercrusier

vicpresnal

Cadet
does anyone know the oil capacity of a 4.3 mercruiser. My manual does not show it. when I have the oil at the proper level on the dipstick, and I drain it, I only have 2.75 qts. I know this cannot be right. I have 2 4.3's on my houseboat and they are both about the same. When I put 4 qts in, the level on the stick is 2-3 inches above the full mark.

Also while researching this in my manual, I see where Mercrusier does not reccomend multigrade oil. I have always run 10w30, Would anyone know why mercrusier reccomends straight 30??

thanks

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: oil pacity on 4.3 mercrusier

I just drained a 4.3 empty. Let it drain for well over an hour. 4qts back in w/new filter. Engine level for 24hrs. I just went & checked it. It's right at full mark.
The dipstick tubes don't get within 1 1/2" of the bottom of the pan.
They don't recommend "that weight" of oil, if you can't get 30w/40w, then by all means put it in. 10w is less viscous on cold starts. Use racing oil! 10w30/40 your fine!

Bondo

Staff member

when I have the oil at the proper level on the dipstick, and I drain it, I only have 2.75 qts.

Ayuh,... How are ya draining,..??

Does the oil look Clean after a run in, after the oil change,..??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

does anyone know the oil capacity of a 4.3 mercruiser. My manual does not show it.

Kind of depends on what year and model engine you have. Does it have a serial number? cause year doesn't mean much either.

You also keep saying "My Manual says" what exactly is your manual? OEM and if so, is it the right one, or is it one of those sorry aftermarket knee pads?

Everyone wants exact answers to lots of vague information.

vicpresnal

Cadet

orginally I was pumping it out, after the amount concern, I pulled plug to allow complete draining of the pan, still I was only getting 2.75- 3 qts. I want to be sure I am correct on the amount because I dont want to overfill . Oil looked normal

Don S

Mercruiser # OL075011, OEM manual

Hmmmmm, your manual must be missing page 1B-6 here it is.

Then go to 3A-55 for the drawings for your dip stick and see if the measurements are correct, along with the stops being in place.

attachment.php

Attachments

• specs.jpg
    specs.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 9

vicpresnal

Cadet

I do not see this in my manual, I must have a different book. So, I need to put in 4 qts and remark my stick?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I do not see this in my manual, I must have a different book. So, I need to put in 4 qts and remark my stick?
No.

Put in 4 qt's (or so) and USE your "stick" to determine if you're "there".

Don S

What is the manual PN number you have? Or even the manual number you should have manual #25