1991 70 hp will not run at high speed. Need help have been working on this for a yea

phillipsrj

Recruit
I have a 1991 70 hp evinrude. Compression was check by 2 mechanics both say the same thing 115 on the 3 cly. Done a leak down test and it was fine. I rebuilt the carbs. Still the same. I had them rebuilt by a mechanic still the same. . Fuel pump is fine. Bottom cly runs fine. He said it must be something internal. What would be internal that would cause this problem? Can anyone give any help?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1991 70 hp will not run at high speed. Need help have been working on this for a

well if done right, I am thinking reeds. But let the pro's chime in and tell ya! Good luck

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: 1991 70 hp will not run at high speed. Need help have been working on this for a

You have three things you need to run your motor; fuel, compression, and spark. You've tested compression. Supposedly fuel is okay (you can still be having a problem here, so don't discount it just yet). Have you verified spark? Have you verified that you are not losing spark at at higher speed? Things physically move as you roll on throttle, and something may be shorting out as that happens. Verify you have good spark throughout your throttle range with a timing light. I'll assume if you have talked to a mechanic they have verified the synchronization and engine timing. If they haven't that would be another place to look.

Rgds

phillipsrj

Recruit

Yes I had a mechanic verified the synchronization and engine timing. I purchased different carbs from ebay. The mechanic rebuilt all three carbs.