1978 johnson 35 hp won't shut off with the key

jackknife234

Recruit
I am a new (used) boater, and I am a new poster to iboats (but I am a frequent eaves dropper on other threads!)

I have, what I think, are a couple easy ones for you all.

I have just installed a new ignition switch for my outboard. I replaced the previous owners jerry-rigged key switch, in which only three wires were hooked up! Somehow the engine started and shut down, but the switch ate keys, turning them into a mangled mess. After burning through three keys, I purchased the 6 prong 1977-1995 johnson outboard ignition key, installed it, and she started right up! The problem now lies in shutting her down. The wiring diagram from my manual tells me that the black/yellow wire is my "kill" wire and it is to be connected to the raised "m" prong on the switch. However, the diagram on the back of the package of the switch shows 2 black/yellow wires going to the raised "m" prong? What gives? Where did this other wire come from? and, maybe more importantly, where is it going?

My other question is about the carb silencer. Is this part necessary? My online parts supplier lists it as "obsolete". I have ordered a couple of gaskets for the connection between the carb and the silencer, but I am not sure if I will get them before the holiday weekend, and I was really hoping to get out on the water, not be stuck on land waiting on a couple of $2 parts! That got me thinking, what does this thing do? if it just makes the ride a bit quieter, I can for go the noise silencing for a weekend, but if the engine will blow up without it, obviously I will just have to wait.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin