new to me boat, temp gauge type ??

yamahadude9

Cadet
Just picked a 1987 imperial v174 bowrider with a mercruiser 3.7l 224 165hp engine. The temp gauge isnt working so i tested it and found it was the sender is bad. Im confused on which sender i need. I see it calls for a 15995 temp sender but the one thats in it is marked 12 v h1 334p which crossed to a stewart warner temp sender. I know how important it is to match gauge and sender so im not sure which one to buy. The previous owner may have put the incorrect sender in so i cant assume it takes a stewart warner?? is there anyway to look at the temp gauge and determine which style it is and water sender it requires ?? :confused::confused:

Re: new boat temp gauge type ??

I have the same problem the new sender is reading 30 on the hot side I am replacing the gauge and sending unit with a machanical gauge.

yamahadude9

Cadet

Ive read on here how important it is to monitor the temps on these 3.7l engines so im not taking any chances, i wanna get it right. Also as a recommended precautionary task im changing out the impeller tomorrow even though its pumping water great. This issue with the water temp sender is my last hurdle so hopefully with a little additional help i can get it sorted out, thanks

Pete104

Lieutenant

I wouldn't trust any replacement parts other than OEM. You said you tested this & that. Is the sender grounded?

yamahadude9

Cadet

First thing i did was ground the sender out and it pegged out full hot. Then my buddy gave me a sender of unkown origin, i put it in and it worked but its wicked old and i dont trust it. It did however confirm for me that a new sender is what i need, Just dont know which one lol Do you think i should go with the 15995 even though that isnt what was in it ? i just dont wanna buy it with out being sure because its a pricey little bugger at $60 !