Evinrude 70 HP

Hi,
I have an Evinrude 70 HP outboard. It's an ex-RNLI Coastguard engine and I think the model no. is E70pleea.

I was out today and the engine started fine, I headed out a mile and stop to fish, then when I went to start the engine it started but died when throttle was applied. Tried again and again and again etc. same thing.
It was going into gear and was giving very slight power/movement but was dying if I tried to increase speed.
It was getting fuel.

I tilted the engine up so the prop was barely in the water, started the engine and throttled it and it fired and increased revs greatly, so I trimmed the engine down and it ran perfect (until I stopped again). Then same thing again.

So basically the engine was struggling when fully submerged on increased throttle but would be ok when I tilted the prop up to nearly out of the water and started it, gave it throttle and tilted it back down?

Any ideas where I should start?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 70 HP

You could have garbage floating around in your carbs bowls and by tilting it up the garbage moved until the next time you tried it.

Re: Evinrude 70 HP

Carbs are perfectly clean.

The engine seems 100% on the muffs.

So its Ok on the muffs and when the prop/exhaust is at water surface.
But it struggles when the prop is down in water.