On a busy ramp, what would be the better launch protocol?

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
This past weekend, a buddy and I both took our boats (and families) to the local lake. The water at this lake is very high so the normal multiple lane ramps are closed, but there are a couple of single, high water ramps in use (spread around the lake). Obviously, around 4:00 the ramp begins to get busy. You have people like myself coming off the lake, and you have others that are just getting there.

I began watching the queue process and it seemed to be flawed. The process was that each vehicle got in line and when it was their turn they either launched their boat or retreived from the water. The reason that I thought it was flawed is that many of the boats waiting to come off the lake had to beach the boat on the limited shoreline so that the person could go get the vehicle and then wait in line. Several times there were 2 or 3 boats in a row that were being launched, and they too would need to beach, or the spouse would stay on the boat and just float in the cove waiting for the other person to come back to the ramp.

I couldn't help but think that a better way would be to alternate launch and retrieves. Technically, I was waiting to pull out before many of the people that launched even arrived at the ramp, but they beat me to it because I couldn't beach my boat because there were other boaters ahead of me waiting to pull out. It would seem that if they alternated, then there would be a constant flow of boats coming and going and when one boater pulls his boat out, that would free up a spot on the shore for the next person.

Any thoughts??

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: On a busy ramp, what would be the better launch protocol?

One of the things that makes boating so enjoyable for me, is the lack of rules. There are no stoplights or signs, no lanes that must be honored, you can 'park' just about anywhere anytime. If there were rules about launching/retrieving I guess I'd follow them, but I like things the way they are; I kind of enjoy watching the chaos. Life goes by fast enough without trying to hurry it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you may be right, but iut would require one guy with a badge and a whistle to make it work, and another with a badge and a ticket book to write disorderly conduct citations. Late afternoon ramps are not a good place to insert logic, if it's contrary to habit.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

This is the part of boating where courtesy is most needed. If you are not in a hurry, let others who seem to be go ahead. If you are in a hurry, let others know and they may be inclined to let you go first. If I ever got to the ramp and it was packed (and not in a hurry), I would just go for another 15 minutes ride. It's amazing how the ramp can be packed for a while and then totally dead 10 minutes later. Plus, floating in the river, watching idiots and drunks load up boats is a favorite pasttime in every neck of the country.

SWTobias

Seaman Apprentice

I doubt there would ever be any orderly launch & retrieve at any of the ramps I've used (and that's been a lot). I've had idiots zoom in around me & hit the dock hard just to get in front of me. Last weekend at a busy ramp &my 1st time using it, I got out of the truck & talked to the others waiting, mostly to launch (I was retrieving). They asked me to go ahead & retrieve my boat & even helped me a little. I do think they were in a hurry though. I have found that most boaters are extremely friendly folks & are usually pretty courteos

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree.... courtesy is a must. There weren't really any problems with people cutting or anything. It was just more of a traffic jam. I wasn't in any real hurry either. My buddy and I just sorta tied-up together out of the way and waited until most of the people got out of the water.

NHGuy

Captain

I think you were smart to just go with it. Someday there will be an emergency and a little patience and courtesy will help the person having it.