14' starcraft superstar restoration

Tayter

Cadet
I just inherited a 14' aluminum starcraft superstar this thing has been sitting for some 20 years me and a buddy of mine have been working on it for about a week now trying to get the paint stripped due to lead based paint im assuming and legal issues with that being in the water but so far the bottom and outside of it has been stripped and the bench seats have been taken out i was wondering if i could actually put a floor in it and swivel seats and make it a fishing boat as opposed to a utility boat any tips on doing such or if it is even possible for that matter any advice is greatly appreciated im very new to boating and still learning

Tayter

Cadet
Re: 14' starcraft superstar restoration

im pretty sure it is a 1967 model and had original paint on it as well

kfa4303

Banned

Sure. I've done a similar thing with my '60s era, aluminum, Arkansas Traveler. It started life as a little runabout ski boat with a fiberglass top, 2 bench seats, windshield and remote steering and controls. The top and windshield were long gone when I got it, so I essentially had an empty aluminum hull. The old plywood seats and transom were super rotten so I ripped them out and replaced them. I then added a little casting deck to the front, which also created a a little storage locker in the bow. I didn't install a floor, but you could if you wanted too. You'll essentially need to remove the fiberglass top and windshield, then leave it in an open floor plan and add decks and storage lockers as desired. You'll probably need to replace the wooden floor, stringers and transom if they're rotten, of course. Lots of threads here on how to do all that. Once that's done, you can use aluminum stock (available at Lowes/HD) and/or non-pressure treated lumber to build the framing for your new decking. There are lots of similar conversions here, but you might also want to check tinboats.net too. It's full of great aluminum boat projects. You can get as simple or complex as you like. Here are a few pics of my super simple, ugly, cheap, but very utilitarian and functional conversion :) Keep us posted. We love pics.

Before/After Pics. Nothin' fancy, but it works great.

0116111135-00.jpg0116111135-01.jpg0131111657-01.jpg20110201002742.jpg0131111658-02.jpg

Tayter

Cadet

sweet man yeah i really would like the stoarage area whether it be for a cooler if anything or what ever else i could fit in it but for the most part it is seriously ribbed and with the bench seats it makes moving around really akward im still debating on what exactly i want to do with it though ill try and find some pics of when it was sitting and then ill take some pics of where its at now its definitely come really really far!