1986 Evinrude 9.9 wont start after getting serviced......

miko0271

Cadet
Hello,

I just had my 1986 Evinrude 9.9 repaired last week because it would not start. The mechanic first took a look at the starter. He discovered that the starter spring was broken and that it was also missing a retainer, which looks like a C. So he installed the new parts and the starter works now. He gave it a few pulls and boom it started but it would not idle. He then decided to look at the carburator which was incredibly filthy. So he cleans it and it looks like new, starts the motor and its perfect! The following weekend i put the boat in the water and I try starting it, its starts and it fails.....I keep trying and trying and the same thing happens. Everytime I increase throttle the motor just shuts off. Now it wont even start!!!!!! This doesnt make sense i just spent over 200 dollars on this motor and it wont start again. I could pull the dam thing a hundred times and it wont go. The bulb on the gas tank wouldnt go hard at one point and now it does? This makes me so mad....Bass just opened in Ontario and im stranded. Can anyone please help me? What could the problem be? Anything I can do at the momtent?

Thanks All

kbait

Commander
Re: 1986 Evinrude 9.9 wont start after getting serviced......

Possibly a stuck float valve if the bowl was left w/fuel in it since last run. Tap the carb body and you might get lucky, if not, install a carb kit w/'needle clip' and it won't get stuck again. I'm assuming you aren't getting any fuel into the bowl, which you'll know when you dismantle.
Good luck!

He then decided to look at the carburator which was incredibly filthy.

Well, I'd guess the carb didn't get that way all by itself. Had to have had some help from some trash in the fuel tank, decaying fuel lines, or something like that. My guess is that you need to take care of the source of the problem, and then attend to the carb again.

Also, just to be sure you cover all your bases, have you checked for spark and compression?

Rick.

Captain

Good advice above. You might try opening the slow speed needle a 1/4 turn at a time. It may be isn't set right. Start by turning it in all the way counting the turns as you go so you will know where the start point was. You should also check to see if your even getting spark. Could be many things but understand your need to get fishing. Best of luck. Rick.

wmconway

Seaman

I would definitely check the fuel. Disconnect fuel line fitting from motor and take it off the fuel line, slosh your gas tank a few times and immediately pump some fuel into a glass container. Is it milky? Does it smell old? Is there water or trash in the container? If so, dump it and clean the tank good then put in fresh new mix. Check the screen in your fuel pump. Clean the carb again. Then clean out all fuel lines in motor.

miko0271

Cadet

Spark and compression are fine. I just put some new fuel in the tank and checked the gas filter.

miko0271

Cadet

The gas seems fine. I had to replace a zip tie on this rubber tube that attached to the carburator as it was leaking. I primed it and it finnaly held it! But now gas wont get into the carburator. I cant even flood it anymore. Could this be the problem?

AlTn

Commander

yep..post #2 sounds like solid advice

nwcove

Admiral

Hello,

I just had my 1986 Evinrude 9.9 repaired last week because it would not start. The mechanic first took a look at the starter. He discovered that the starter spring was broken and that it was also missing a retainer, which looks like a C. So he installed the new parts and the starter works now. He gave it a few pulls and boom it started but it would not idle. He then decided to look at the carburator which was incredibly filthy. So he cleans it and it looks like new, starts the motor and its perfect! The following weekend i put the boat in the water and I try starting it, its starts and it fails.....I keep trying and trying and the same thing happens. Everytime I increase throttle the motor just shuts off. Now it wont even start!!!!!! This doesnt make sense i just spent over 200 dollars on this motor and it wont start again. I could pull the dam thing a hundred times and it wont go. The bulb on the gas tank wouldnt go hard at one point and now it does? This makes me so mad....Bass just opened in Ontario and im stranded. Can anyone please help me? What could the problem be? Anything I can do at the momtent?

Thanks All

did your mechanic actually clean the carb.....or just spray it with parts cleaner to make it "look like new"? a carb that looks like new on the outside, may not perform like new on the inside?! was the zip tie you replaced brittle and old looking? or just not tight enough to make the fuel line seal? does your invoice tell you what parts you bought , and how much time was spent? unless your shop is really low on the per hour labour rate, i cant see a complete carb rebuild plus the starter stuff making it for $200 ish!

miko0271

Cadet

Okay guys I got the motor to start now. But it won't idle if release the choke. Thank you all! I am making some progress!!! Thank you thank you.

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not running unless choked is a tell of needing a carb rebuild. I'd ask your "mechanic" about his work, especially since the zip tie was old and you need to replace those to get the carb off! Do a rebuild and link/sync per service manual.

Rick.

Captain

what did you do to get it running? Rick.

miko0271

Cadet

Honestly I just tapped the carb a few times and it started. I still have to pull about 3-5 times to get it to start for 3 seconds. So just to clarify, spark is good, new gas, compression is good, fuel lines are clear, fuel filter is clear, primer bulb gets hard now. I'm picking up a carb kit today and I will decide later if I will perform the operation myself.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the fuel line from the pump to the carb is spurting fuel when you pull the engine through, the fuel pump is working and your problem is most likey a clogged up low speed mixture circuit in the carb. There is a low speed mixture adjusting screw on the carb, if the engine does not respond to it, or responds erratically, most likely the carb needs a good cleaning.

xstyle

Recruit

You have dissapeared.. Didi you get things working? I have the same motor and after I run it for a while ( more than 15 minutes) then turn it off and try to restart an hour or so later it wont start. I pull and pull and pull... Concerning your issue.. It may be as simple as the adjusting knob, slow speed that needs tweeking.. http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=560svb0h9grkb9gviecudkjdq6&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

miko0271

Cadet

You have dissapeared.. Didi you get things working? I have the same motor and after I run it for a while ( more than 15 minutes) then turn it off and try to restart an hour or so later it wont start. I pull and pull and pull... Concerning your issue.. It may be as simple as the adjusting knob, slow speed that needs tweeking.. http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=560svb0h9grkb9gviecudkjdq6&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

Well im only a couple years late for this reply. This little beast runs great now. Carb kit did the trick, after every use I have to let the motor die by disconnecting the fuel line. NO problems now. Getting ready for the lake this weekend.

Rick.

Captain

Timely feedback is always appreciated. LOL. Glad to hear your enjoying it now. Best of luck. Rick.

miko0271

Cadet

haha my apologies. Thanks all!