Carb issues with 2009 Volvo 3 liter I/O

YahooMarine

Cadet
Hello. I have an 18' 2009 Chaparral with the Volvo 3.0 engine. I purchased it new in 2009. The first summer it ran like a dream. Easy starting and smooth running at all rpms all summer.

Then, winter of 2010 there was a recall by Volvo for a potentially serious carb problem involving loose parts internally. The dealer removed the carb for inspection by a factory rep and all was well they say and put it back on as is.

After that, spring and summer of 2010, it was hard to start but still ran well. The dealer did the winterization last October and said nothing was wrong.

This spring and summer it not only is even harder to get started, it has serious runability issues. If I hit the throttle hard, such as to pull up a skier, the engine just dies. If I pull back it gets going again. In fact, if I push the throttle forward quickly and smoothly, as opposed to punching it, it runs up fine.

There is no issue over 3,000 rpm or running at any rpm once it is going, but if I am running at minimum planing speed below 3,000 and punch it it will die.

The dealer says I can bring it in and leave it but now it is summer and I'd prefer to not lose it for however long it take to get it checked, or pull it to/from twice at 75 miles round trip.

I am suspicious of the effect of the recall inspection.

Anyone else experience this? Could it be electrical? Choke problem? Advance?

Thanks, Rich

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Carb issues with 2009 Volvo 3 liter I/O

Probably just needs a full tuenup.

coronatrophy

Cadet

Have you pulled the air inlet off the carb? take a look in there with the ignition off and hit the throttle and see if gas squirts in from the accelerator pump. If its not pumping, that would make it hard to start and hesitate. It sounds as if you have a problem with the accelerator pump circuit and possibly the idle circuit as well. The idle jet is smaller and it could be plugged. What a lot of people dont know is that the idle circuit usually controls fuel delivery till 2-3000rpm depending on the carb/engine combo. After 3000, your main circuit is kicking in and thats why you have the power.

Dont focus too much time on a tuneup, wires/plugs/cap/rotor would cause backfires, misfires etc, and usually throughout the rpm range.

Once you get it fired up does it idle ok?

YahooMarine

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. Yes, once it is running it idles a bit fast but smoothly.

Where is the idle jet adjust at? Could I screw it out and re-intall it?

I'm hoping this is a simple fix.

Thanks, Rich

kelleyja

Seaman

+1 on the accelerator pump check. I'd make sure you're getting a strong "squirt" when pumping the throttle, before tearing into the idle circuit. Without the squirt, you'll get a hard start and a lean condition when you slam on the gas.

Clearing any blockage in the idle circuit will involve removing the carb and doing a rebuild. There are mixture screws for the idle circuit externally but that wont clear any blockage.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with the guys saying the it's the accelerator pump. It won't cost you a thing to remove the flame arrester off the top of the carb and then actuate the throttle. Like has already been said, you should see a strong shot of gas shoot from the accelerator pump into the carb.