Bass fishing in Clear Lake...what size line?

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have 10lb, 8lb, 6lb, and 4lb. Heading to the pro shop to pick up some gear. What size line should I string up my stuff with?

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bass fishing in Clear Lake...what size line?

It depends on the type of bass fishing your doing. Need more info.
Rod & Reel type?
Muddy or rock bottom?
Jig or crank bait?
Flipping or Casting?

ngt

All my rod and reel types are generic regular spinning reels. Not sure what the bottom looks like. Guy said we'll be fishing in channels and along some dam. I'd like to cast some lures (rooster tail? popper?, double spinner?), rubber worm/lizzard, night crawlers with a bobber, drop shot with little worm, etc.) Sorry if it's not enough info, but I'm really new to bass fishing. I'm taking my tackle box into the pro shop with me so the guy can tell me what lures to use up there. 2 of the guys that are going are experienced in that area and they said rooster tails, but they're not my friends so I can't really call them up and ask on other stuff. ALso, I've never fished with a rooster tail.

My usual fishing is slapping a slider rig on 50 lb braided, tossing it out with some anchovies or grass shrimp, popping on a bell, and opening a beer. Same type of fishing for catfish, perch, shark, sturgeon, ray, halibut, etc...but with different rigs/lines/setups. Cast, sit, wait. lol. easy fishing. Not much skill needed.

I've been bass fishing before and caught a handful in the last couple of years (yeah, that's it). A couple on wacky worm, 1 with a nightcrawler and bobber, and the other few with a little white fish lure just casting and swimming it back. That's about it for me and large mouth.

Hope that narrows it down a bit.

scipper77

Commander

15-20# braid and if you can tie on a fluorocarbon leader if you think you need it. What I just gave you should catch you fish in most any situation.

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

one of the lakes that I frequent allot is extremely clear, I prefer 10lb P-line in crystal clear. It gives the best of both worlds, clear(ish) underwater like florocarbon but still floats like mono.

That would be the simplest setup, unless you want to tie on a leader. If a leader is your style, you can go with 50lb braid with a 10lb floro leader.

Bass fishing is like a drug, then you toss in the love of boats and you are a full blown addict.

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would go with 8 lb. There really isn't any need for overkill unless there is a lot of stuff to cut up your line (stumps, rocky bottom, etc.). 6 lb shouldn't be a problem either. I like to go with the lowest i can get away with just for the fun of it. It's more challenging (and fun) on lighter line when you hit a big one.

I use fireline, 8 or 10 lb test is almost impossible to break with your bare hands so it will definitely have enough strength to bring in a big bass. little on the pricey side tho

ngt

I would go with 8 lb. There really isn't any need for overkill unless there is a lot of stuff to cut up your line (stumps, rocky bottom, etc.). 6 lb shouldn't be a problem either. I like to go with the lowest i can get away with just for the fun of it. It's more challenging (and fun) on lighter line when you hit a big one.

I use fireline, 8 or 10 lb test is almost impossible to break with your bare hands so it will definitely have enough strength to bring in a big bass. little on the pricey side tho

I wish I would have seen all of these ideas before heading to the shop. I ended up with 3 poles. One with 6lb, one with 8 lb and one with 10lb. All mono line though. 150 yards on each cost $9.50 total, but if I would pay $30-$40 for the one I'll toss lures on to be sure I wouldn't lose my lures. I have some 14 lb in my bag. Should I use that for my pole with lures? Or will 10 lb mono be ok?

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wish I would have seen all of these ideas before heading to the shop. I ended up with 3 poles. One with 6lb, one with 8 lb and one with 10lb. All mono line though. 150 yards on each cost $9.50 total, but if I would pay $30-$40 for the one I'll toss lures on to be sure I wouldn't lose my lures. I have some 14 lb in my bag. Should I use that for my pole with lures? Or will 10 lb mono be ok?

like i said, i try to go with the lightest setup. i would say 10 lb would be more than enough. your not going out for stripers or muskie or anything like that... right?

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ok, if Clear Lake is like it's name... Clear, Roostertails will be a good bet.

I'm thinking Clear Lake is a deep clear lake with little cover/structure, perfect Roostertail country!

Use your 4 or 6 lb. test on light tackle, and make sure your mono is clear and not tinted. I use fluorocarbon, but I see you've already bought your line.

Roostertails in the 1/8 oz. size will produce the best, like this one:

DSC02043.jpg

Don't think that a decent size fish won't bite something that small either, both of these fish were caught on 1/8 oz. Roostertails and ultra light spinning tackle:

DSC02040.jpg

DSC01489-1.jpg

... and the Spotted Bass love them too.

The green Roostertails like the one in the pic are good producers, the whitecoachdog and yellow coachdog work as good or better depending on conditions.

Watch how the other guys work their Roostertails and try to copy them.

ngt

How about these? They're all I have, but I can swing by a shop on the way up there.

IMG_0845.jpg

I'd love to lure fish for striper, but all of the striper around here are in rivers and bays, that are definitely not clear.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

How about these? They're all I have, but I can swing by a shop on the way up there.

IMG_0845.jpg

I'd love to lure fish for striper, but all of the striper around here are in rivers and bays, that are definitely not clear.

They might work, but a Roostertail will outperform them dramatically... if you can't get any Roostertails, the Blue Fox will be your best bet... but at 1/4 oz. it's probably too big.

The Spotted bass like them just as much as the Stripers do, I've caught more Spotted Bass on Roostertails than anything else in my tackle box.

Here's a color chart of some Roostertails:

http://www.basspro.com/Wordens?-Original-Rooster-Tail?-1/8-oz-/product/46137/-954889

My favorites are 04, 05, 11, 19, 20, 21, 35, and 39 all in the 1/8 oz. size.

The water doesn't have to be clear for a Roostertail to work, but they work better in clear water than most other lures.

If Clear Lake is clear water, you will catch very little if anything with heavy line and large lures. Light line and tackle with smaller lures will catch more fish in clear water. See if you can go with one of the guys that were talking about the Roostertails and you'll see what I mean.

ngt

They might work, but a Roostertail will outperform them dramatically.

The Spotted bass like them just as much as the Stripers do, I've caught more Spotted Bass on Roostertails than anything else in my tackle box.

Here's a color chart of some Roostertails:

http://www.basspro.com/Wordens?-Original-Rooster-Tail?-1/8-oz-/product/46137/-954889

My favorites are 04, 05, 11, 19, 20, 21, 35, and 39 all in the 1/8 oz. size.

The water doesn't have to be clear for a Roostertail to work, but they work better in clear water than most other lures.

If Clear Lake is clear water, you will catch very little if anything with heavy line and large lures. Light line and tackle with smaller lures will catch more fish in clear water. See if you can go with one of the guys that were talking about the Roostertails and you'll see what I mean.

thanks a lot man! I'm going to go see what I can find now and stop by a shop I know on the way up there. Here's where we'll be fishing. Zoom in on that "B" and you'll see the channel that I'm catfishing in. I've seen people catch bass in there, but I think we're going to try and find this dam these other guys were talking about. The guy who was talking about rooster tails called my buddy this evening and said his boss called him in to work, so it's just us inexperienced fishermen going out to see what we can do.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=s&lat=39.017597&lon=-122.806415&zoom=18&q1=94928&q2=39.017576,-122.806447

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Well have fun and be careful!

I wish you lived closer, I'd show you how to fish a Roostertail... it's a little speed and depth thing I've been working on for the past 25 yrs.:p

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Depends on where your headed. Over at Rattlesnake I yanked black and yellow toads and did pretty good runnin 18lb on my Diawa Steeze and fast action Loomis. Averaged 5lbs all day. I dropped down to 8lb and crank baits over at Sonoma and did pretty good on the smallies. Thought lizards would be the ticket at Sonoma but the green crankbait with the orange belly did the trick. Threaded worms and lead core for the steelies in the cove next to the ramp on the dry creek (not marina) side. I'm not going near Sonoma this weekend, to flippin crazy. Clearlake won't be bad where your headed unless the winds kick up in the narrows. I'm heading over to Berryesa weekend after next then up to Eagle Lake week after (13-17th).

Go over to Outdoor Pro Shop in Cotati to get the latest and best info. Their over on Houser just off Redwood Highway after Lowes from the Cotati exit.

Watch the rocks if you fish Rattlesnake Island, that Volcanic rock will slice your boat up big time and you can't see em until it's too late. It's best to take someone that knows that area before you venture in on your own.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

but I think we're going to try and find this dam these other guys were talking about.
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=s&lat=39.017597&lon=-122.806415&zoom=18&q1=94928&q2=39.017576,-122.806447

With a little looking around on the internet I found the dam. It's on Cache Creek at the south end of the lake and highway 53 is dam road.

Here's a link to a map.

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/CASPCLLKSP:13

Zoom in on the south end of the lake and you'll see it.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Yep that's where it is.. A lot of folks don't know there's a dam because it's still classified as the largest natural lake in Ca. Eagle lake is the second.

You do realize you have to get a Mussel sticker put on your boat if you put it in that lake. You used to be able to peel them off but now they're actually registered by your HIN number. If you get stopped at a check point on any other lake and your sticker is missing you ain't launching and you're paying a hefty fine. I've never put my boat in there, I go with a buddy of mine who has a home up there and we use his boat.

ngt

Thanks guys! Went to CVS and grabbed the White and the Yellow Coach Dog. Only others they had was the Rainbow and Black, which weren't on your list :D

As for the Dam, is this it?

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=38... Park, undefined, CA&q2=38.923518,-122.566722

I think I have a couple frogs. White with black spots and green with black spots. I don't know Clear Lake too well. Where's Rattlesnake Island?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Where are you comming from? Those coach dogs will get you a mess of Crappie, I've never used them for Bass on that lake but who knows. Rattlesnake is the island just out from Clear Lake Oaks.

ngt

Depends on where your headed. Over at Rattlesnake I yanked black and yellow toads and did pretty good runnin 18lb on my Diawa Steeze and fast action Loomis. Averaged 5lbs all day. I dropped down to 8lb and crank baits over at Sonoma and did pretty good on the smallies. Thought lizards would be the ticket at Sonoma but the green crankbait with the orange belly did the trick. Threaded worms and lead core for the steelies in the cove next to the ramp on the dry creek (not marina) side. I'm not going near Sonoma this weekend, to flippin crazy. Clearlake won't be bad where your headed unless the winds kick up in the narrows. I'm heading over to Berryesa weekend after next then up to Eagle Lake week after (13-17th).

Go over to Outdoor Pro Shop in Cotati to get the latest and best info. Their over on Houser just off Redwood Highway after Lowes from the Cotati exit.

Watch the rocks if you fish Rattlesnake Island, that Volcanic rock will slice your boat up big time and you can't see em until it's too late. It's best to take someone that knows that area before you venture in on your own.

I was over at that pro shop today and the guy said to try a drop shot with a small worm. I live in RP. Only places I've fished in Sonoma are Yorty and Cherry creek. We just shore fish Yorty. I've used a big rubber worm wacky rigged or whatever there. My buddy took me back to Cherry and I got a few. We went to the end of Cherry Creek and just floated back. He was killing them, but I forget what he was using. I've never fished by the ramp, but I was told there were some good places by the dam, the marina, and up the other way. Called Warm something? ?

We're going to Clear Lake tomorrow and coming back on Friday. Just 2 nights. Have you ever fished that Dam at Clear Lake? Any advice?

Where are you coming from? Those coach dogs will get you a mess of Crappie, I've never used them for Bass on that lake but who knows. Rattlesnake is the island just out from Clear Lake Oaks.

We're coming from Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa. I'm going to swing by Ralphine in the morning and grab some crawfish before we go out. We're camping at the State Park up there.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I was over at that pro shop today and the guy said to try a drop shot with a small worm. I live in RP. Only places I've fished in Sonoma are Yorty and Cherry creek. We just shore fish Yorty. I've used a big rubber worm wacky rigged or whatever there. My buddy took me back to Cherry and I got a few. We went to the end of Cherry Creek and just floated back. He was killing them, but I forget what he was using. I've never fished by the ramp, but I was told there were some good places by the dam, the marina, and up the other way. Called Warm something? ? Warm Springs.. I fish the Warm Springs side when Yorty and Cherry give up for the season. The best part of the Bass season is done at Sonoma and the Steelies will be moving down around the Dam in deeper water soon although last year and this year were a little odd because of all the water.

We're going to Clear Lake tomorrow and coming back on Friday. Just 2 nights. Have you ever fished that Dam at Clear Lake?

We're coming from Rohnert Park/Santa Rosa. I'm going to swing by Ralphine in the morning and grab some crawfish before we go out. We're camping at the State Park up there.

I've never fished Cache Creek. I've worked around the main body and in and out of coves and docks and done very well. Clear Lake is well known as one of the premier Bass lakes in the world. It's also know for it's big CatFish and large Crappie population. You can also bow hunt Carp but if you wait until the algae bloom most of those just float to the top and stink like you can't believe....LOL.