Pontoon/ motors

Ho daddy

Cadet
I have just purchased a 14'x8 boat kit ( alum) that I will only be using on small pot hole lakes, I was hoping to get by w/ an elec motor in the 55-80 lb range and would appreciate any helpful ideas or opinions, I have never been on a toon before and am a fly fisherman from Alberta, Canada

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Pontoon/ motors

That combination should be sufficient provided you have no sustained winds in the 20+ mph range.

Ho daddy

Cadet

Thx for reply, my total weight should not exceed 1000 lbs and most of the water fished is fairly well treed, is there much more resistance pushing pontoons as compared to a v hull?

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

At your speeds, no. Both hulls act as displacement hulls while at slow speeds.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Wind might be a bit more of a factor though. My BIL would be jealous of your project. He's wanted to do that for years but his admiral won't let him.:p

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Go for a trolling motor with a 70 lb. thrust--and a single 12 volt battery. They've now got wireless remote control trolling motors that are really nice.

If you want serious electric performance, see LencoMarine.com. They have a twin electric motor system with a joystick running them. It's really trick.