30 amp fuse keeps tripping, stumped

jonny68

Recruit
If someone can help I have an 87 bayliner with a Force 1251x7a, the fuse on the red wire that goes to the relay switches for the trim keeps blowing.(30amp). After reading another thread I just realized that there is a circuit breaker before the fuse the reset button just pushes in and returns to the original there is no clicking sound as on a GFI breaker. Could this be my problem. Please help:)

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 30 amp fuse keeps tripping, stumped

I doubt that the circuit breaker is the problem. When does it blow the fuse? As soon as you put it in or when you try to trim the motor? If it is when you try to trim then you need to do some testing on the trim motor. Did it just start doing this? Is it a new (to you) boat?

jonny68

Recruit

I got the boat last year ,after lifting or lowering the motor the fuse would blow...this year as soon as i put the fuse in it blew. I replaced the trim motor and now when i raise and lower it it still blows

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You need to check the trim motor to make sure there isn't a short. there could also be a short in the switch. You can take one of the wires off the trim motor and see if the fuse blowes when you hit the trim switch.

tomslick

Cadet

You may want to look at how free the outdrive moves. Remove the up/down cylender ends from the outdrive and see if its rusted or hard to move by hand.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If the fuse blows immediately and the motor does not move at all, try replacing the relays: Both relays are default to ground. They are relatively trouble free high amp switches but I suppose one could get shorted. Last year my engine would unexpectedly tilt while sitting on the trailer. I replaced the switch in the handle with no improvement so I started removing the up signal wire. This year the relay failed so I replaced it---TA-DA--no more unexpected tilting.

And by the way: they are standard 5 pole relays--you can find them in any auto junkyard (look at the older cars) or if you must spend the money, buy them at any electrical supply. Most don't have the mounting tab but that does not affect performance.

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

a company in germany makes the relay brand new with the mounting hole, theyre on ebay for like 15$ + shipping. also found them at a local marina brand new for 20