3.0 Mercruiser crazy noise

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class
All-

Just spent the weekend running the boat. And i had noticed a couple of issues. I'm going to focus on one issue at a time.

Boat Starcraft Islander
3.0 Mercruiser
Alpha I

First is the the mystery noise coming from what seems like the transom, or very back of the engine. This noise sounds like a couple of bolts in a coffee can having the living crap shaking out of it.

When the noise happens is usually between 3/4 and full throttle. but not always. It is totally random, which is to say it doesn't happen all the time, and this weekend only happened twice, usually at the end of long runs.

The noise goes away when you back of the the throttle. and usually doesn't return.. Which could make trouble shooting this one particularly problematic.

Also note that the engine itself doesn't loose any power when the noise occurs, it is running cool, and there is no effect on the engine RPM's when it is happening.

From what i've read on the forum, i think it is pointing to the coupler. So one question i have is,is there any way to diagnose if the coupler is shot without removing the engine?

Also note that the gimbal is only a year old, not saying that isn't shot, but i would think if that sounded like bolts in a coffee can, it would do it all the time? So given it is newer and not a squeak, i'm thinking it is something else? Unless you all have heard this and know it is that..

Thanks in advance!!!

Tim

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 3.0 Mercruiser crazy noise

KY Baja

Thanks, any further details? have you experienced this first hand? I'll look into it. Anyone know if that is a difficult fix? or how to go about pinpointing it?

thanks!!

Tim

Bondo

Staff member

All-

Just spent the weekend running the boat. And i had noticed a couple of issues. I'm going to focus on one issue at a time.

Boat Starcraft Islander
3.0 Mercruiser
Alpha I

First is the the mystery noise coming from what seems like the transom, or very back of the engine. This noise sounds like a couple of bolts in a coffee can having the living crap shaking out of it.

When the noise happens is usually between 3/4 and full throttle. but not always. It is totally random, which is to say it doesn't happen all the time, and this weekend only happened twice, usually at the end of long runs.

The noise goes away when you back of the the throttle. and usually doesn't return.. Which could make trouble shooting this one particularly problematic.

Also note that the engine itself doesn't loose any power when the noise occurs, it is running cool, and there is no effect on the engine RPM's when it is happening.

From what i've read on the forum, i think it is pointing to the coupler. So one question i have is,is there any way to diagnose if the coupler is shot without removing the engine?

Also note that the gimbal is only a year old, not saying that isn't shot, but i would think if that sounded like bolts in a coffee can, it would do it all the time? So given it is newer and not a squeak, i'm thinking it is something else? Unless you all have heard this and know it is that..

Thanks in advance!!!

Tim

Ayuh,... Sounds to me like it's goin' Lean, 'n Detonating...
If it is,... That pingin', 'n rattlin' is yer motor consuming itself...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,... Sounds to me like it's goin' Lean, 'n Detonating...
If it is,... That pingin', 'n rattlin' is yer motor consuming itself...

Bond-o, I was with Tim all weekend. I popped the engine cover while it was doing it. The sound is definitely NOT coming from the engine itself.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Not doubtin' ya, But,....

Detonation is the Only thing I know of that sounds like a tin coffee can fulla nuts rattlin'...

Stripped splines on a coupler sound more like a workin' P/S pump, low on oil...
And, the boat don't go Nowhere...
Ditto for a ground gear in a drive...

What do the sparkplugs look like,..??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Tim's description of the noise was poor. It was more exhausty sounding like maybe what Ky Baja Blast was suggesting. We're gonna run the thing tomorrow, maybe it'll do it and we can record it. I've been on Tim's boat 3 times and it's made this noise each time at some point in the voyage but it doesn't seem to be something serious as this weekend it occurred 28 miles from our starting point and we got back running fine and dandy.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before you put it back in the water, spend 8 bucks for a gasket set and pull the drive and check the ujoints and gimbal bearing.
Check the magnets on the drive oil too. Just for S&G's.
It's also a 3.0L, pull the plugs and post some pictures of them.
Might even run it on muffs and check timing and advance timing.
Oh, and you did check all the fuel filters................. Right ???
After that, all your bases will be covered for the next water test.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gents

Thanks. I'll pull the plugs tomorrow and hopefully get some more details for us to work with to diagnos this issue.

Tim

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

So here are some more details

Compression

1 = 165
2 = 165
3 = 160
4 = 170

Plug Condition

Center Electrode = Square and even
the rear 2 plugs had a little oil on the threads
Ceramic Center - a little brown.
IMG_0386.jpg

Hopefully this indicates that the engine isn't coming apart

Tim

Reming870

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whats the condition of the shutters? Mine had a similar noise last year and went away all of a sudden, then when I pulled the drive I found the shutters. It only takes a couple minutes to look at the shutters on the 3.0.

Bondo

Staff member

The noise goes away when you back of the the throttle. and

Ayuh,... #1, 'n #2 look pretty White, 'n clean,...
Backin' off the throttle it goes away,...

Still sounds like a lean condition induced detonation to me....

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... #1, 'n #2 look pretty White, 'n clean,...
Backin' off the throttle it goes away,...

Still sounds like a lean condition induced detonation to me....

Bondo. If that is the case what can be done about it? Is it a carb adjustment?
T

SSTKO81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just curious if you found the solution to your problem. Mines doing the same thing around 3k rpm and then gets hot and dies. Not sure if it's related but if you have a cure I'm ready to hear it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No he hasn't yet. He had it out over the weekend and it never made the noise once. Ran well also.