Have a 65 Hp Johnson Outboard Motor with throttle problems

Hawkeye395

Recruit
I got a motor boat from my grandpa just before he passed. The motor on it is an old 65hp Johnson outboard motor (about 1973) I think. The boat was built in 1975. The problem that I am having is the when I get it started, the engine goes wide open right away. The throttle arm that runs that part of the engine seems to stick in that postion. I can slow down the engine by pushing it back by hand. There is also spring the is not hooked to anything on the butterflies on the carb. I am some mechincally inclined and can fix most things but this on escapes me. The motor sat on a shelf for about 15 years but sounds good. Oil has been changed and new fuel in it.

Any info would be great

Can send pics about what I am talking about

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Have a 65 Hp Johnson Outboard Motor with throttle problems

I agree, outboards are beeezaar. The throttle cable from the helm control actually activates both the mechanical spark advance and a cam that operates the carb butterflies. Idle position for the helm control is when the lever is in its most rearward position. There is usually a start position where the lever is in a slightly forward position. This position advances the spark making the engine easier to start. Full throtle is in the full forward position. Not sure which spring you are referring to, but will check on my motor in the morning. The throttle butterflies can be opened by pushing the little roller away from the cam. They should snap shut when you release the roller.

Perhaps you are starting with the helm control lever in the wrong position or the throttle cable is adjusted too tight at the engine.

DO NOT run the engine without running water through it! Serious damage may ensue.

What is the engine model number? It is written on a plate on the port side of the transom mounting bracket.

Oldyellow71

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Have a 65 Hp Johnson Outboard Motor with throttle problems

As far as the spring is concerned you might be talking about the choke "solenoid" mine looks like about a d size battery and essentially is just a magnet. When it is energized it pulls the arm and chokes the motor, once warm it de-energizes and the throttle butterfly takes over and the choke butterflys stay open