Bayliner Capri Starting issue. Battery Reads 12.37v. Not turning over. Please Help!!!

JettyJetSki

Cadet
Battery was checked and is fully charged. Hooked up the battery and the trim wont even budge let alone trying to turn over the engine. But when I was trying the trim (even tho it didnt work) I notice when I flicked the switch the fuel gauge needle went from half tank down to quarter tank(like a voltage drop or something?) I only have a MPH Gauge and a Gas Gauge, no Voltage or RPM Gauge unfortunately(just throwing that in there.)

So I connected some jumper cables and voltage read 13.32, Tried the trim and it worked GREAT!?? Tried starting the boat and it actually tried to turn over but acted like it only had 5v (very slow turn over) and didnt start whatsoever.

So basically it trys to start with jumper cables(13+ Volts) but wont even budge (the Trim or Engine) with fully charged(12.37v) Marine/RV Battery(has like 700+ CCA) I cant understand it at all...???

Could there be a bad ground? Maybe something else drawing to much power from the battey? Starter? Solenoid? Please Help

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Bayliner Capri Starting issue. Battery Reads 12.37v. Not turning over. Please Hel

#1 elec. prob. is corroded connections. Must seperate and clean. Looking good won't correct unseen corrosion.

JettyJetSki

Cadet
Re: Bayliner Capri Starting issue. Battery Reads 12.37v. Not turning over. Please Hel

#1 elec. prob. is corroded connections. Must seperate and clean. Looking good won't correct unseen corrosion.

So check my ground? Or basically have to check all my connections?

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had this issue with my capri (minus the trim because mine is manual :() . I cleaned all the connections and it was a bit better BUT i pulled the starter and cleaned where the starter mounts to the block and the bracket that it mounts too and have no issues ever since. I would start by cleaning all your battery connections through out the boat then move to the starter.

Jeremy

fucawi

Banned

are you shure that battery is any good ...charged and standing it should show over 12.5v if below suspect ??? I think you mean you jumped it with another battery ...??? Clean all cable connections and measure batt volts when you hit the starter ..if it goes down to 8v fast then the battery is buggggered

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe a fully charged battery is supposed to sit over 13V maybe even 14V, but im not sure maybe someone else can confirm that for you.

fucawi

Banned

jeremy90bay ..if I say that it should show over 12,5 after charge and sitting 24 hrs thats correct..they are usually abot 12.65 ......not 13 or 14 I dont need anybody to confirm it .., 14.4 is the on charge voltage above which it starts to gas

JettyJetSki

Cadet

Ok im going today to check and clean connections and maybe even take off the starter and take it up to autozone for them to check.

Correct me if im wrong but considering the trim doest even move with a fully charged battery I dont think it would be a starter problem unless the starter is shorted out or something. I can understand if it doesnt crank hard it could possibly be the starter but when I hook it up to jumper cables and get "One" extra Volt that will make the trim work and at least try to turn over the engine...???

When you hook up jumper cables, does the ground that is connected to your car help? Because I can't see that "One" extra volt being that big of a deal?

JettyJetSki

Cadet

Ok so I checked some connections, I have a picture here that shows something that the starter connects to, im not sure what it is an im wondering what the voltage should be going to this item.

IMG_05061.jpg

I checked the voltage with key in "off" position and voltage read 12.34v. I turned key in "on" position on the voltage on this part went down to 5.13v...???? Is this wrong.

I checked voltage on starter itself and I wasnt getting any voltage at all with key on or off.

Any Suggestions/Ideas?

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is your starter solenoid. When you turn your key to start the solenoid puts the power from your battery to the starter. When you turn your key from on to start you should here this click.

@ Fucawi, Sorry for stepping on your toes. No disrespect intended just trying to help him out. And you are correct I was thinking about a charging system not the battery itself. My mistake.

JettyJetSki

Cadet

That is your starter solenoid. When you turn your key to start the solenoid puts the power from your battery to the starter. When you turn your key from on to start you should here this click.

Ok so does that mean I need a new starter solenoid? Is it possible to bypass the solenoid just to see if I can start the engine?

Getting 12v on the solenoid when key is off but 5v when key is on? Should it be dropping that much? I wouldnt think that is normal but im not sure.

Poncho Villa

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so does that mean I need a new starter solenoid? Is it possible to bypass the solenoid just to see if I can start the engine?

Getting 12v on the solenoid when key is off but 5v when key is on? Should it be dropping that much? I wouldnt think that is normal but im not sure.

The 5v issue does sound like a bad ground somewhere to me. I had a similar problem and found a ground wire that I had not attached to my battery. Make sure that everything's attached to the battery that should be attached.

About the solenoid, I wouldn't count it out just yet until your voltage issue is resolved. In fact, I'll go test mine to see if I find a voltage drop and let you know what I find. In the mean time, you can bypass the solenoid by jumping across the two large posts on the solenoid with a screwdriver. Just be prepared for sparks and the starter to whirl. If you're easily startled :eek: (as I am), it can be quite unnerving. A remote starter switch that connects to these two posts can alleviate some of that anxiety though.

- Edit -
I confirmed that I had no voltage drop at my solenoid after turning the key to the on position. Therefore, I believe the wiring issue must be fixed before you can proceed with the other issues.

Good luck and please let us know your findings!

fucawi

Banned

I am still suspicious of the battery ...12.36 is not right ...try volts across battery on and off ..if it goes down to 5v then its the battery. Its not clear from your information where you have the meter connected....

JettyJetSki

Cadet

So tested out the starter by connecting a new battery directly to it with jumper cables, negative to engine ground and positive to the starter, I tried to turn over(got a spark) but I get the same problem, barely turns over, So I think I need a starter for sure because there is nothing nothing else that could be drawing current, right? But there has to be a short somewhere too because when the battery was connected to the boat while I was using a voltmeter and I turned the key into the "on" position and pushed it in for "choke" (I heard the solenoid click) but also saw the voltage drop 2volts...??? Dropped 2 volts just to choke sounds like something else is wrong . Sooo it drops 2 volts when pushed in but then when I turn the key to start it, voltage drops to practically nothing soo I let off the key and voltage shoots back up to 12v. I only got 4 hours of sleep last night trying to think wtf this is...

foodfisher

Captain

Eliminate one doubt. Have your battery load tested at an autoparts store.

fucawi

Banned

Drops 2v ..drops to nothing ..?? where is the meter connected ....if its on the lead of the battery terminals then the battery is buggggered . Jump leads are not good unless very expensive

jelecole

Cadet

i had this problem. where battery and starter was good but had blown gasket leting water in the bottom cylinder. cause of the water it was to much pressure in cylinder. pulled bottom plug and would turn over fine replaced gasket and everything fine after.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

How old is the battery??
If older battery it can fail and have your systems yet show a good volt reading. Load test will tell you for sure. Cars are the same way.

If newer sounds like wire connection problems. clean the wire terminals and the battery terminals yet? Have you inspected the ground and positive wires? That would be my first start.