Engine weight

ncryders

Cadet
Anyone know how much an 1986 90 hp inline 6 weighs? Have to remove / move it to replace the steering cable.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Engine weight

Right about 300 lbs and TOP heavy...... use a hoist with lot's of lifting straps to support it. You only need to slide it over and it is not too hard.

ncryders

Cadet

OK Thanks.
I posted this in the general boating question area as "Steering Help" but didn't get much response. Wondering if you could help.
Decided replacing steering unit and cable sounded like a good idea. Guess I should have asked how hard this job was going to be. Trying to get the old cable out I had to tap on the end to get to go through the motor. It looks like there?s a sleeve coming out the other side. Is this normal? I don?t think I have enough room to get the old cable off without dismounting the motor. Worried I may have damaged something here. I've attached a few pic's of the situation. PLEASE HELP!!!

Attachments

• IMGP0002.jpg
    IMGP0002.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMGP0001.jpg
    IMGP0001.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If you turn the steering wheelall the way left, the cable will retract, giving you the best chance of getting it out of the tilt tube. If you need to slide the motor sideways, be careful as you only have a small lip "hooking" the transom. If you have a reliable friend, he/she can hold the powerhead when you push it sideways on the transom. Blocking up the antiventilation plate will help a lot.

BTW - If the steering cable binds up in the tilt tube and with the big nut loose (as you have it in the pic), the steering wheel turns freely, the cable is likely good and the tilt tube is corroded to the steering cable end. In that case, turn the wheel right and clean the steering cable end until it moves freely. Use some solvent to clean it up, and then regrease.