Volvo SX Shift Cable Replacement

jclarke2899

Seaman
Ok so maybe I'm missing something here, but I keep reading how easy it is to replace the shift cable. My boat is a Four Winns Horizon and I wanted to put in the Teleflex Extreme cable. There is no room to work behind the control and I have small hands. Is it that people usually just replace the inner cable and not the outer core? If that's the case then I understand how that is so easy. Is it worth this trouble to use the Extreme cable? There are existing cable ties that I will not be able to reach to remove so I'm thinking I will cut the old cable to remove it from where it goes through the transom and use new ties throughout the length of it. Will I encounter any problems getting through the tube at the transom, it just slides through right with no fittings? I'll then connect it in the rear of the drive and secure in anchor block. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo SX Shift Cable Replacement

You are going to have to remove the control from the side panel to change the cable, rather you can use the extreme cable or not, I don't know. They may not fit the drive or the control box.
The cables themselves are not serviceable, nor can you change only the inner cable.

Will I encounter any problems getting through the tube at the transom,

Impossible to say, depends on the boat builder and how it was installed. It should be able to be pushed through the hose and transom shield and guided into place by an assistant.
There are very few things on a boat that are easy.