Mercruiser 5.0 190 HP V8 - Please help

jmax207

Recruit
I just bought a 1995 Sea Ray 200 with a 1995 Mercruiser 5.0 V8 190 HP with 153 total hours. It has a Mercruiser 5.0 V8 190 hp stern drive.

I had it borought to local marina for a checkup and get it prepped for water. (It had been winterized) They said it was fine but a few things I may want to address such as light noise from gimbal and broken gas guage. He said the idle was set a bit weird and he messed with it.

I was able to pick up in water from marina and take to my dock. I went out on 30 min run and got her up to about 3500 rpms with a few quick jumps to the 4k range. I dont want to open her up right away. Went home, docked, no problem.

The next day after cleaning the boat in the hot sun and looking forward to going out, she wont start. I assume the battery is dead ( even though it had been a brand new battery added the day before) and think maybe I left something one. I ran to local marine store and got an entire new battery because I was frustrated and hot. Hooked that up and it still wouldnt start. The key turns, the warning noise comes on and I turn the key and nothing. Nothing at all.

I then hit the starter and get a brief sputter then nothing again. I took the battery out and charged overnight to make sure to rule that out.

Went back today, added new fully charged battery. Tried to start and got nothing. I then had the right tools today and hit the starter with hammer pretty good a few times. Then tried to start and she starts to turn over but never fires. As long as I hold the key on the engine attempts to start but never fires up. Sounds like it wants me to give it gas/throttle so it will fire.

I am wondering if there is a choke somewhere? Or the other way could I have flooded it?

Should I replace the starter?

Next steps please? I need help.

JMax207

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 5.0 190 HP V8 - Please help

I then had the right tools today and hit the starter with hammer pretty good a few times.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... A Hammer ain't a tool for fixin' a starter...

The starter itself might be Beat, or it's wiring is corroded...

Carbed motors most Always need alittle throttle to start, hot or cold...

jmax207

Recruit

Is there a choke somewhere?

Or someone told me the hand shifter comes out to the left a bit and you can give throttle while staying in nuetral...?? Does this make sense?

jmax207

Recruit
Re: Mercruiser 5.0 190 HP V8 - Flooded

The serial number is of429292.

The engine is now turning over and sunds good. My dad thinks it is flooded now with old gas. I bought the boat and the 9 gallons in there could be up to 2 years old.

My plan tomorrow is to replace the plugs. My dad thinks they will be soaked with old gas that won't fire.

I did open up the carb and it is clean and the butterfly was open. The gas was squirting in.

The starter seems to be fine now after a few nice raps.

I am wondering why it started up and ran fine the first run out and then died.

I am thinking maybe the starter wouldn't start and I flooded it. Then when thestarter was working it was too late bc the engine was flooded.

Any ideas? Any new info from the serial number?

Thanks

Jmax207

Pete104

Lieutenant

Has anybody checked the "lanyard"? The kill switch!

Bondo

Staff member

Is there a choke somewhere?

Or someone told me the hand shifter comes out to the left a bit and you can give throttle while staying in nuetral...?? Does this make sense?

Ayuh,... Yer controller might have a button, or maybe ya gotta pull the handle out,...
There All different, 'n only you can see it...

The automatic choke is activated by advancing the throttle to Wot once, when cold...

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I am wondering why it started up and ran fine the first run out and then died.

Maybe because it had already been warmed up before you got there.....then you let it get cold and didn't (haven't) used the right cold-start procedures, coupled with a crusted up starter...I don't know, just guessing.....if it hadn't been used in two years...