Kawasaki 1100 STX - burning oil.

Boldfist1100STX

Recruit
Hi All,

Looking for some light at the end of the tunnel. I have a kawasaki 1100 stx and I've gone over it time and time again. I make sure the oil is full and everything is good. I take it out to the local lake and ride it for about 45min-hour and the oil light comes on and starts flashing at me. When I take the seat off there is no leakage of oil anywhere. It's just disappearing. This happens every time I take it out. I keep it well maintained but I just can't figure this out. I know it's supposed to burn a little oil and that's normal, but when the light keeps coming on I know that's gotta be bad.

Does this usually mean rings? Or my engine needs to be rebuilt? I was hoping not and maybe it was just a broken seal, but it's really annoying being only able to ride it for a short period of time before I have to park it. I am an IT Admin and Web Designer and don't know much about jetskis/waverunners.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Kawasaki 1100 STX - burning oil.

how does the ski run when you can ride it before the light coming back on?

MovingTarget

Cadet

I think the oil pump is adjustable, might be pumping to much oil. I had a STX1100 way back and believe we got 3 or 4 tanks of gas before needing to fill the oil tank.

Boldfist1100STX

Recruit

Hi Guys,

The ski runs great, smokes only a little at start up then its fine. Maybe these gauges aren't as accurate as I thought? I'm going to fill it up and mark it and ride it a bit and then see how fast it really does eat it. Seems like the gauges are throwing false readings and its throwing me off.

DoGood

Seaman Apprentice

i believe this ski has a two stroke engine that requires a mixture of oil and gas. The engine is suppose to burn the oil, so it has nothing to do with piston rings etc.

The oil tank should last longer than an hour though, probably at least an entire tank of gas if not 2.

I would suggest that you remove the oil pump, replace it with a block off kit (should be ~$15 on ebay), remove oil tank, and most importantly mix the two stroke oil and gas together before adding it to the fuel tank. This way you know the engine is getting the proper mixture (should be 32:1 or 40:1)