Need help diagnosing raw water leak in cooling system.

jgboake

Recruit
I have a mercruiser 165 with an alpha one(G1) out drive. I replaced a bad, very bad, impeller and I now have a leak out of the stern end of the heat exchange. Just a trickle at low RPM but when I increase RPM, trickle becomes a stream. When I have the muffs on, there is nothing coming out of the prop-exhaust. I am wondering if a piece of the old impeller is lodged somewhere. When I remove the hose that extends from the stern side of the heat exchange to the exhaust manifold, I do see water bubbling up. I removed the Oil cooler section of the section and it is clear and clean, so no obstruction from exhaust manifold to stern side of the heat exchange. Does anyone have a more detailed diagram of this? I see the diagram in the manual but it is not exactly as mine is. I do now know where to look for the jams but I am thinking that because this is a low pressure system, it would not take mush to jam it up.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need help diagnosing raw water leak in cooling system.

I now have a leak out of the stern end of the heat exchange. Just a trickle at low RPM but when I increase RPM, trickle becomes a stream.

Ayuh,... Look for Cracks or a Bad gasket, it mighta Froze...

jgboake

Recruit

I did take the end off and inspect the gasket, it looks almost new. The gasket had the impressions of the different chambers on it, I am thinking that is because of the pressure applied agains the gasket. I tried reversing it but I have the same issue.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is this the 6 or 4 cylinder 165?

You may just need a new gasket on the heat exchanger cap.

jgboake

Recruit

This is a 4cyl....While that is what I origonally thought, I would think that it would remain a trickle at best and at least some of the water would make it out the exhaust. I am getting no water out the prop-exhaust at all and the more RPM I give it, the more water pours ot of this thing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you getting any water out of the idle relief ports on the bottom of the transom shield?

jgboake

Recruit

I am not sure what those are or where to look for them.

So I looked it up and found the relief port and there is no water coming out of the port.

Last edited: