Don't Know Nothin' Bout Boats

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
I always find it amazing that those that want to purchase boats and even those that own them, know nothing at all about boats.

I know you have to learn sometime, but I would think some research would be in order prior to shopping for a boat so you would at least know the bow from the stern.

I was selling a 12' aluminum v-hull recently and had a family show up in response to my ad. From the questions they asked it was apparent they had not owned a boat before, and that's ok. But when they asked me to explain what an outboard motor was and how it attached to the boat, what the oarlocks were for, could the boat be put on a trailer, I thought "yow".

They wanted to use this 12' boat to take 5 adults fishing on the Quabbin, which is a huge reservoir in MA. I know the Quabbin can get pretty rough so I told them this boat was too small for them and I wouldn't sell it to them. They needed to get a bigger boat.

They were somewhat pissed off that I wouldn't sell it to them as they came quite a distance to see it but I couldn't in all good conscience do it.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Don't Know Nothin' Bout Boats

You did the right thing, and hopefully we won't read about them in the newspaper, "5 adults drown in small fishing boat at local Quabbin reservoir". Maybe they'll figure all this out before they venture on the water!

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe they should have asked the Questions over the phone before going to the distance. Just Saying.

You did the right thing.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

good for you.

One thing that is also apparent from the stuff posted here is that everyone has a different idea of "boat" and the ignorant think they practically are all the same.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wait... are you saying my houseboat and a canoe wont handle the same? Weird.... Who woulda thunk it.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"I'm not going to buy this boat, it's got a big through hole under the motor drive thingy off the back of the boat!"

This family doesn't have any idea you could have saved thier lives or possible others.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the ads I see for the v-haul boat with a cubby cabin, outbored, bikini top, and trailor. Owned the boat for years but have to sell.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I like the ads I see for the v-haul boat with a cubby cabin, outbored, bikini top, and trailor. Owned the boat for years but have to sell.

I assumed those were landlocked water boating terms because they sure aren't nautical!
The biggest selling point in those ads is, "It ran great the last time we used it X years ago."

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Don't you mean have to sale?:rolleyes: