1957 Johnson seahorse AD-11 7.5hp - won't go over forward over idle speed..

danfennell

Recruit
I just received my uncles 1957 Johnson 7.5hp motor after he passed away (no idea on how long or when it was last used). It started right up without much trouble and will idle slow/fast with no problems.
When I put it in gear it works fine also moving forward at idling speed.
When I speed it up it seems to shake excessively and dies with a bit of a clunk.
The 2nd time I tried speeding it up it seems to be stuck in gear in that I cant turn it over to restart it.

I am looking for ideas on what to look for or what the problem may be.
I have not yet (and didn't) check the lower unit for oil, etc.

any idea's/comments would be great.
Thanks,
Dan

danfennell

Recruit
Re: 1957 Johnson seahorse AD-11 7.5hp - won't go over forward over idle speed..

Update...
I checked the lower unit for Oil.
All I got was about 4 to 5oz of water..
So now what?

I just received my uncles 1957 Johnson 7.5hp motor after he passed away (no idea on how long or when it was last used). It started right up without much trouble and will idle slow/fast with no problems.
When I put it in gear it works fine also moving forward at idling speed.
When I speed it up it seems to shake excessively and dies with a bit of a clunk.
The 2nd time I tried speeding it up it seems to be stuck in gear in that I cant turn it over to restart it.

I am looking for ideas on what to look for or what the problem may be.
I have not yet (and didn't) check the lower unit for oil, etc.

any idea's/comments would be great.
Thanks,
Dan

fireman57

Captain

Sounds like you might be rebuilding a lower unit. They have to have oil or they eat themselves up. You can try putting fresh oil in and run it in a barrel but I bet when you drain it you will have chunks and flecks of metal.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Remove and inspect gear case. You might get lucky and just have to do some light cleaning. But either way it's going to have to come apart to repair water intrusion. Post back results and upload pics of your progress, It really helps. Good luck and welcome to iboats.