restoring buccaneer motor

Daddypleo

Seaman
I've got a 1963 Gale Buccaneer 15hp that has faded paint on its fiberglass cowling. I was wondering if there were decals available for this model or will I have to paint it back to the original with a sharpie marker?:confused:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: restoring buccaneer motor

Depends on how bad you want them. Some sign shops will make them from vinyl. Or, ask your question at www.aomci.org They should be able to give you several contacts making vinyl decals. I doubt you will find them "on the shelf".

Daddypleo

Seaman

thank you F_R for your suggestion.....I know that this motor was (or looks like) silk screened or painted from the factory. There are no decals on it....just faded paint letters. If there is anyone else out there that has a motor like this I'd love to hear from you if you've tried to restore the markings on this motor and how you did it!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Nah, they were decals. Thin as paint, though. They were applied with a special decal solution. Nearest modern day ones would be waterslide. Vinyl is better if you gan get them.

EDIT: Original decal set was part number 593609 if you want to try to find them. But being 48 years old, they might not be too good. And you still need that decal solution.