Charging issues, with a fried wire, on a 1973 Johnson 85 outboard engine.

Arrowglass73

Recruit
So let me begin by saying that this is a project i took on this year. It was my fathers boat that he bought brand new in '73 and it has just gone to disarray over the years. For instance I just replaced the whole floor in the boat, and it went well. Quite happy with it.
Thought the engine was fine. It was... ish. I have had to replace on coil so far and now I am not getting any charge back from to the battery. I have read some other posts on here about magnetos and staters and such. Obviously I am new at this but am trying to figure it out.
I have noticed that coming out of what I believe is the rectifier (a small round piece maybe an inch in diameter and an inch tall with two small bolts on it, one bigger than the other) That there is a wire that has melted. I read in a prior post that there should be a yellow wire, a yellow grey wire, and a red wire coming out of this. My red wire is missing, and pressumed to be melted. Is this a common problem and does this sound to be the issue as to why I am not receiving any return charge to the battery? Any return advice will be GREATLY appreciated!