To Starcraft or not?

64osby

Admiral
I have tracked down a Starcraft project. I need some serious advice.

Owner says it?s an 18? Startrek V, serial # 041426, has had the floor replaced with pressure treated ply and the transom replaced with water resistant ply???. He also stated he reinstalled the old foam???

It has no interior, no motor, no steering console, steering cable and wheel provided.
Has a trailer is rusted and needs new tires.

$500 obo is the asking price. Should I even consider looking at this with a pressure treated floor?

I am used to FG boats and besides a 12? Sea King have no experience with Alum Boats.
Primary use would be pleasure, tube, ski, and cruise. Don?t fish a whole lot.

I know there are a lot of Starcraft owners here and looking for some good advise.

I am planning to look at this tomorrow in the AM.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: To Starcraft or not?

Photos would be really helpful.

An 18' aluminum boat for $500 that needs to be completely rebuilt isn't out of line. Tough to tell without looking at it though.

Happy Hunting!

Edit, did some checking:
attachment.php

Yah, that would be an easy rebuild. I'd be looking close at the trailer too. Bearing and tire job just to get ya home would be $200 - $350ish.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Probably the absolute first thing you should do with that project is to get rid of the PT wood ....all of it. OT wood and aluminum do not play well together at all and it is an invitation to eat away the aluminum. $500 is not too bad if it is with trailer. I paid $250 for the basket case in my signature ;) It can be done.

Glance at this for more motivation http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=385090

64osby

Admiral

Inspection update, with pictures.

I have never looked at a Alum boat so I may have missed something here.

Hull looks pretty good, needs paint and the bow has a dent above the eye. Transom replacement looks to be good.

Carpet and sole (right term for floor?) are junk, seller used salvaged Pressure treated and painted it, not level and continuous, He placed the old foam strips back under the floor.

He has steering and a box of misc. electrical parts along with a seat and a console that was in the boat.

Trailer is bent, tires are shot, winch is on backward and has been rigged to hold the boat. paint is ok.

Price is at Less then $400.00

More pics to follow

Starcraft 1.jpgStarcraft 2.jpgStarcraft 3.jpgStarcraft 4.jpgStarcraft 5.jpg

64osby

Admiral

More Pics

Attachments

• Starcraft 6.jpg
    Starcraft 6.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Starcraft 7.jpg
    Starcraft 7.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Starcraft 8.jpg
    Starcraft 8.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Starcraft 9.jpg
    Starcraft 9.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Starcraft 10.jpg
    Starcraft 10.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 1

Bob_VT

Staff member

It has huge potential. I still would get rid of the PT wood ;)

64osby

Admiral

And more pics. Trailer was made in 1971.

Starcraft 11.jpgStarcraft 12.jpgStarcraft 13.jpg

Bob_VT

Staff member

Take a look at what is in my signature and it has an even older hosclaw trailer

That hull looks to be in good shape..... I have seen much worse that have been brought back to full use

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

X2 what Bob said, big potential there. If you are willing to put in the elbow grease that rig could be awesome someday. Yah, total gut and rebuild. You may get a pass on that transom though, maybe. I might shoot for a $300ish haul away, but you need to know I am a super low budget bottom feeder.

By the way, it might help for us to know what you want to do with this new boat?

Have fun!

Huron Angler

Admiral

I like that boat, looks like it's in good shape.:)

Nice open layout, great for customization.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd buy that hull in a heartbeat.

64osby

Admiral

I might shoot for a $300ish haul away, but you need to know I am a super low budget bottom feeder.

By the way, it might help for us to know what you want to do with this new boat?

Have fun!

I too am a bottom feeder, low baller, frugal, cheap, I'm thinking start at $200 and max at $300. The wife would not be happy, I already have my Hurricane project sitting and the last thing she would want to see is another project. That might push my list over 50. I might have to hide it.

Purpose of the boat is pleasure, tube, ski and cruise, I do very little boat fishing. I take the kids out and goof around but I'm not serious.

Trailer is bent right in front of the crossmember, how do you fix that?

Bob_VT

Probably the absolute first thing you should do with that project is to get rid of the PT wood ....all of it. OT wood and aluminum do not play well together at all and it is an invitation to eat away the aluminum. $500 is not too bad if it is with trailer. I paid $250 for the basket case in my signature It can be done.

Glance at this for more motivation http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=385090

Bob I looked over your thread, awesome job. I really like the Yellow and your layout

To EZ, Bob and Huron - I too think it has a great potential.

It looks like this type of boat would be much easier to work on in dry dock, vs a FG boat.

Light weight to trailer.

Replace the floor and come up with a floor plan, the open layout would allow almost any type of fit & finish.

I looked at a 1978 17' Mark Twain Sonic V, It looked really nice but the transom is toast, he was at $350, but I like the Starcraft better.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looking at the photos again a few things jump out at me.

That trailer looks like it's on it's last legs almost. The entire front half is sagging down a bit, not sure if that's what you mean about it being bent. How far are you pulling it to get home? It may not be that bad, hard to tell not seeing it in person.

I would say that you may be all set on the transom, and are looking at a new deck and she's ready to go.:)

This will be infinitely easier than a FG rig with a bad transom, great deal even if the trailer needs some work.

Good luck 64, hope everything works out for ya:)

64osby

Admiral

Looking at the photos again a few things jump out at me.

That trailer looks like it's on it's last legs almost. The entire front half is sagging down a bit, not sure if that's what you mean about it being bent. How far are you pulling it to get home? It may not be that bad, hard to tell not seeing it in person.

It about 15 miles to home or another 8 to hide it at my office.

The C channel frame is kinked just in front of the cross member. I've seen many trailers bent the other way but not like this.

BTW, I looked at your brochures link, very cool. I was able to find the 1971 side view of this boat. No windshield.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Purpose of the boat is pleasure, tube, ski and cruise, I do very little boat fishing. I take the kids out and goof around but I'm not serious.

Well, for pleasure/tube/ski, I'd be more inclined to go with an IO in it. Maybe a Holiday or a SuperSport. I think my favorite would be a Nova though...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=472242

Course, bad news on Nates boat there:(

That boat you are eyeballing would be more comfortable used as a fishin rig. Certainly you can build it and use it anyway ya like though, eh;)

64osby

Admiral

My wife agreed to the purchase this morning.

The only problem is it looks like its been sold.:(

Ad has been pulled and seller hasn't return my call.

Looks like I was not the early bird. :redface:

I do know that I have had a big change of mind set thanks to you guys, FG boats to Tinnys. It really looks like Alum boats are a whole lot easier and less expensive to work on. I see some pretty sweet boats here. Maybe someday I will be able to join the Starcraft Cult. ;)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well at least we got ya to sip the SC kool-aid anyhow:)

I can see why a 18' aluminum hull won't be available very long for that cheap, hope you can find another good one!

64osby

Admiral

Well at least we got ya to sip the SC kool-aid anyhow:)

Starcraft - Starcraft - Starcraft
Hyp.jpg:)

I'll probably kick myself for awhile letting that one get away, but my wife will be happy - there won't be a 5th boat in the yard.

jasoutside
Well, for pleasure/tube/ski, I'd be more inclined to go with an IO in it. Maybe a Holiday or a SuperSport. I think my favorite would be a Nova though...

I like OB's, I was going to see if my stand mounted Evinrude 135 would have worked on that boat.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I do know that I have had a big change of mind set thanks to you guys, FG boats to Tinnys. It really looks like Alum boats are a whole lot easier and less expensive to work on. I see some pretty sweet boats here. Maybe someday I will be able to join the Starcraft Cult. ;)

Yah baby! Got another one, hook, line and sinker;):D:D

I like OB's, I was going to see if my stand mounted Evinrude 135 would have worked on that boat.

Well not that is a horse of a different color!:) Man, especially if ya have a nice big OB sitting around doing nothin, cool man!