Boat stalls sometimes

jes100fish

Seaman Apprentice
Mercury 175L 1996 0G363201

When I try to get the boat moving from a stopped position it will go slowly but not fast; the engine stalls if I try to go fast. This will happen numerous times in succesion before the boat goes fast again. The engine starts right up after these events. I use the boat a elevation 6000' and 9000'. At 6000' I have not noticed this problem but at 9000' it happens 1/3 of the time. I replaced all the fuel about 3 weeks ago and put sea foam into the gas per the manufacturers directions. I did not clean out the fuel tank. I replaced the fuel filter on the engine and replaced the spark plugs about 4 weeks ago.

I bought this boat in late April so I do not have past history on the engine's performance. Since buying the boat I have used the boat at 9000' for 4 days and at 6000' for 2 days in the last two weeks. This is all the experince I have with the engine.

Again thanks for helping.

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: Boat stalls sometimes

Have you ever tried running closer to sea-level?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat stalls sometimes

I replaced all the fuel about 3 weeks ago and put sea foam into the gas per the manufacturers directions. I did not clean out the fuel tank. I replaced the fuel filter on the engine

Ayuh,... Sounds like it's time to rebuild the Carb, for the elevations yer boatin' at...

It's running Lean, 'n the Accelerator pump don't sound like it's workin'...