1958 Four Fifty Electric Choke Solenoid

sfdavis

Recruit
Hi all, first post so be gentle with me!

I have a 1958 Evinrude Four Fifty 50hp (model 50012). It's got electric start with an electric choke. I'm trying to iron out some hard-cold-starting issues and I would like to replace the choke solenoid as although it still works, it's pretty grungy-looking and seems rather loose. Problem is I cannot find this part anywhere. I have the manuals for the engine, but they do not contain the electric start/choke parts. I have searched all the forums I can find, as well as all the boat parts stores I can find with no luck. Does anyone have any idea what the part number for this is, or where I can find something similar?

I've attached a picture of the current one...

thanks for any help

Sean

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 1
D

DJ

Re: 1958 Four Fifty Electric Choke Solenoid

Hi all, first post so be gentle with me!

I have a 1958 Evinrude Four Fifty 50hp (model 50012). It's got electric start with an electric choke. I'm trying to iron out some hard-cold-starting issues and I would like to replace the choke solenoid as although it still works, it's pretty grungy-looking and seems rather loose. Problem is I cannot find this part anywhere. I have the manuals for the engine, but they do not contain the electric start/choke parts. I have searched all the forums I can find, as well as all the boat parts stores I can find with no luck. Does anyone have any idea what the part number for this is, or where I can find something similar?

I've attached a picture of the current one...

thanks for any help

Sean

Check these places out.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=438822

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Use the manual choke know to iron out your starting issues. If the solenoid still works, it is likely good. It can be adjusted up or down in the clamp to give more or less choke.

Let me guess, the brass wire connection lever moves a bit? Trixies in Bayville NJ likely will have one.

sfdavis

Recruit

It actually still closes the choke just fine, but the vertical arm that moves the choke mechanism seems very sloppy and the rubber cover is toast.

thanks for the help!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The rubber boot is listed as no longer available. The 376806 solenoid body is $140.00. The 377159 solenoid plunger is $31.44. Shall I continue?

Newer motors didn't even have a rubber boot. And you don't need it either.

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sean, I have the same motor as yours and I love it. Could you post more photos of it?

Verne:)

sfdavis

Recruit

sfdavis

Recruit

FYI it's mounted on a 16' 1960 Larson All-American. Last summer (first year I had it) she'd do 29 mph (with just me). This year she only wants to go about 24-25 mph. More tinkering to do, I guess!