Prop Question

204 Escape

Ensign
I have a 14.5 X 19P on my Merc 5.0 Alpha One. I messed the prop up today.

We tube, ski and fish out of this 2006 LARSON 204 Escape f/s deck boat. It come out of the hole fine, (well it did before I messed it up).

I was kind of wanting a little more speed. According to the GPS the boat was running about 55 mph. Should I stay as is, or change pitch ?? :confused:

I like the hole shot, unless it can be improved. BUT as stated, I'd like a bit more speed if possible.

THanx, for your help.

204 Escape

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Prop Question

more speed than 55 mph!? and thats gps? wow. lol. sorry i couldn help, but this just blows me away ;)

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

If you're happy with holeshot, and getting 55 mph out of a 20 ft deckboat with a 5.0L, you're living right...

If your existing prop is stainless, take it to a prop shop and just have it repaired. If it's aluminum, buy the identical prop to replace it...

I'm quite confident in saying that you will not find any improvement by making changes.

204 Escape

Ensign

Yeah, I think you are right. It is a aluminum prop. Was going to buy a SS prop, but am laid off right now. :(

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

wish my 23 foot cuddy could do at least 50 with a 5.8l, but sadly i push 40 with 1 person :(

you going to have to share wot rpm to get any results dont know if your at the top or bottom of your limit. if your near the bottom you might be able to drop a pitch and go like a 14.5 x 18?, if possible, i think a 14.5 x 17 will give you way to much rpm. you might get better speed off a ss same as your current pitch 2-3 mph but 55 is good for that motor and hull.

204 Escape

Ensign

Next time we go out, will check the RPM's and see what it is turning. I'm sorry, I didn't notice. (Musta went brain dead !!! )

204 Escape

Ensign

O.K., we went out today, and I used the GPS, to check the speed.

The boat is a LARSON 204 Escape F/S with a 5.0.
The prop is a 14.5 X 19 aluminum.

It had 40 gallons of fuel, and 3 people on board today. The weight of the people are as follows: 100 #'s, 112 #'s, and 193 #'s. One basset hound that weighs about 60-65 #'s.

The bimini top was up, and there was a slight breeze. There was about a 4" chop on the water.

At 3800 rpms, the boat was running 45 m.p.h.

Later on the water got rough and I never checked it again.

I am pretty sure that there wasn't but about 12 gallons of fuel before, and the water was smooth as glass , when I checked it before.

So, there is what we found today.

I did verify that my spedo is 3 m.p.h. faster than the gps though.

SO, good or bad, I'm unsure.

WHat do you think ?