Starter repair

gspig

Chief Petty Officer
Need to repair my starter. '72 Mercruiser 160hp straight 6. I would like to replace the bendix gears, if possible. If not which starter part number do I need?

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Starter repair

Might try looking for a rebuilder in the area. Do not replace it with an automotive starter, whatever you do.

tommays

Admiral

if its the orginal or pretty old i would go new if you can its done its job and there wont be much left to rebuild <br /><br />the newer starters have a lot more kick because the magnets have goten much better<br /><br />tommays

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Did a little net searching and found bendix gear sets for Chevy auto motor staters. Would the marine engines use the same tooth set and count as the auto? If I cannot fix the bendix, I would replace with a marine starter.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are many sources of rebuilt marine starters on the net with a warrenty. Even though your starter is easy to get, how good will it be after the new bendix? Good Luck!! :)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

What price is the Bendix? They are easy to replace, and used to be cheap. I think the last one I replaced was $12 but that was for a Ford. <br />Make sure the teeth on the flywheel are not also worn down. Someone correct me if I am wrong but on a 6 cyl. you should have 3 worn spots where the starter always engages. Some wear is normal and will be fine but make sure that the flywheel ring gear is not worn too bad. This will just wreck the new Bendix. The teeth will have a slight taper inward from the starter. Look at the teeth and slowly turn the engine, you will know from looking if it is bad.<br />One of my college classes for extra credit we would rebuild starters and alternators that people turned in for core returns. It is amazing how much life was left in a lot of those starters when people would throw them away. <br />While your at it if you are confident with your mechanical abilities check the brushes. They are easy to get to and replace. Sometimes a little tricky getting them back in the starter housing though. Most of them require a paperclip or two to get back together.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I think I have found a replacement Bendix. I'm going to the parts store later. Replacement Bendix-$8; Replacement starter-$120. Budget boating is a hard life. There are items you shouldn't skimp on, but there are times when used and repair instead of replace works. Took the starter apart easily, got the bendix out easily, windings and brushes look good. Found the problem with my starter, the bendix has a roller grip clutch, same priciple as the height adjust cord on blinds, the housing came apart and the rollers fell out. Teeth on flywheel look good.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

That is a common problem with the bendix drives. A seal dries out a little and the rollars start corroding and dry out. If you don't have it together already it is a good idea to put a small wipe of grease in the bushings in the back end, or wipe the armature shaft where it runs in the bushings with grease.