fish/depth finder

regnar

Recruit
where do you attach the transducer for a fish/depth finder on a pontoon boat?

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: fish/depth finder

There is a small bracket at the rear of one or both pontoons. Mount the stock transducer bracket to that, or, in some cases you have to fabricate a custom one. If there is no pontoon bracket you'll need a welder experienced with aluminum to install one.

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is how mine is set up. My livewell pump is inside the alum. bracket/box and the transducer is..... well, see pic. My Son-in-law just bought a pontoon and he doesn't have this. He's looking for a welder now. I don't think it will cost that much.

397449509.jpg

396806104.jpg

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen allot of toons with a homemade bracket that is lowerd into the water to the left or right of the motor and than secured to the toon's deck or railing to get a good center of boat position for the x-ducer.

red

jasburrito

Cadet

Great pics. I just got the same ducer for my larance Ice. My boats in the water. My drills gonna be doing some under water work:eek:
Hope to have it all done in the next few,
cheers

winterfunguy

Seaman

I used a hand crank drill to mount mine in the water it took very little effort with a sharp bit to get through the bracket...you will most likely kill your cordless under water...an air drill is another option for underwater work.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A case of barley pop and about 10 friends standing on the front of the deck will get the stern out of the water enough to do the drilling without dunking the drill.

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a bracket welded to my toon last summer. Cost me $50.

I just wish I'd had him set it a little lower. My transducer comes out of the water when I'm at speed.

jasburrito

Cadet

The dewalt battery drills did not work well under water.Could not drill hole. Mounted like picks above with zip ties. Really digging watching the finder and hitting buttons,
cheers

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Phipps, my transducer bracket is mounted to the bottom of the welded on bracket. It gets the 'ducer a good 2 inches further down into the water, and cleared up almost all of my issues of losing the bottom. I'll try to find a picture.

10-02-07pics079.jpg

Last edited:

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

...if you don't want to have a bracket welded, another alternative is the bottom of the transom. See photo. I really don't have cavitation issues so I feel lucky!

100_3259a.jpg

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Even without ventilation issues I don't see how you can get any kind of reading in all that prop wash. There's so much turbulence coming from around the motor pod. Do you get a good reading when you're using the big motor?

Dozerlady

Cadet

I'm curious about this issue. Our toon has the mounting bracket, but isn't the transducer supposed to go inside the bracket to keep it from getting bumped, scraped, etc. I see some of you have yours mounted on the bottom, back of the bracket. Or does it not work inside the metal bracket?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

It can only be mounted on the outside of the bracket. The transducer beam cannot shoot through metal.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

Incoop.....I thought I would get all kinds of bad readings in that location but lo and behold I get great readings....just sometimes when I'm going wot I lose signal in some places, but not too often. Again, I feel lucky!