Troubles with 115 Merc tilt trim Even after I bought and changed the pump!

93nitro

Seaman Apprentice
Howdy all, I am in the process of doing my motor swap to the Nitro right now. In the process I bought a new tilt pump as the other one checked out dead (old one was 3 wire, gree, blue, black) New pump is 2 wire with Green, blue. Both the old and new pump appear to be shot by trying to test them the way I was told to here. Hooked them directly to the battery as a last attempt. The new one came with new relays and wiring so I tried to hook it all up that way first. Now I am at wits end and have no idea where to go from here. The new motor seems to run a lot better than my 90 Force did so I am a lot happier about that end of it, but this pump has me furious. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this. Thanks, Sean

93nitro

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Troubles with 115 Merc tilt trim Even after I bought and changed the pump!

Just thought of something,.... Is it possible I might need to run a ground strap from the motor to the motor mount/pump area to get power?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If you hooked the new one directly to battery it should have ran, if not its defective. The 2 wire" magnet" motor flips grounds and hots thru relays to control motor direction and the 3 wire is a "field" motor and shares a common ground....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

To elaborate on what Fazt said. The new motor will run in the up direction when blue is connected to +12VDC and green is connected to ground. It will run in the other direction, if the leads are reversed. The relays that came with it need to replace your solenoids, and there are other wiring changes necessary as well.

RRitt

Captain

not likely but possible.
ground the motor frame to battery -. wrap some tape around green wire so that it can not possibly make accidental contact. You can possibly ruin motor from accidental short if it is has certain type of internal wiring. With motor frame grounded touch the blue wire to positive and see if it spins. If it does, then notice direction of spin. Then tape up blue and touch green to see it direction reverses. If it does then you have a 3w motor with internal frame ground.

much more likely
motors that ship with relays are almost always 2w with magnets. touch blue and green directly to a 12v battery and see if it spins. If it does then there is a problem with your switch and/or relay wiring.

93nitro

Seaman Apprentice

Excellent. Thanks for the help.I didn't realize that the blue and green feed direct to the battery. I was thinking it was like a 3 wire where it was already grounded, and one was up and the other was down.

93nitro

Seaman Apprentice

That worked! Does anyone have a place for a wiring diagram using the nes relays instead of the solenoids?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The wiring diaghram should have come with the PTT motor. If not, check the Merc wiring diaghrams on the maxrules.com web site. Stick with a model later than '93, as the changeover to two wire pumps was after that I think.

93nitro

Seaman Apprentice

That did the trick. Got the tilt working correctly and found a new web site! Thanks so much for the info!! Sean