How low is too low

puck924

Cadet
My teenage son and I are refurbishing a 1982 Evinrude 7.5 hp. We honed the cylinders and replaced the piston rings. The problem is we?re only getting 78 psi in each cylinder, with the new rings. So I?m guessing they were rebored at one point and we need to put in oversized rings. My question concerning compression is? (Assuming both cylinders are the same compression). What is the minimum acceptable compression for a 7.5 hp. motor to work?

Update: pulled the head cover and the cylinders spec standard. 80 psi seems low to me for new rings. We put new rings on a 1977 Johnson 55 hp. last summer and the compression went from 100 to 140+ on each cylinder. Don't understand why a 7.5 hp. should be a whole lot different.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How low is too low

Thats not to bad for a RS motor. add some motor oil through spark plug hole/s and double check readings. Post back results.

nwcove

Admiral

those #'s arent bad for what you've done, after break in , you will probably see a slight increase. motor should be a good runner even at 78psi.

puck924

Cadet

wanted to check the bore size so I put in another new head gasket. put a little 2 stroke oil directly into the cylinders and it bumped the psi about 8-10 psi. So getting about 85 psi with the oil. hopefully that will be enough.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep! Thats plenty of compression. I would recommend that you run fuel/oil mix a bit heavy for first tank. Post back results.

nwcove

Admiral

good stuff! if you're honing out motors, you are obviously aware of break in procedure, mix her strong, vary the rpms, and enjoy time on the water!

puck924

Cadet

Thanks to all. I appreciate you folks sharing your expertise. What a great web site?. as I?m sure I?ll continue to have more questions than answers as we go forward. Also just discovered the fuel pump is shot. Hopefully I can get a kit for that tomorrow. I'll post our success's or failures. Thanks.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

They are good numbers for a pull start.