78 Galaxie tri-hull

x_tracer_x

Cadet
For my 1st post i just want to say Hi to to everyone here.

Hi everyone :)

This is really a great place for a DIYer boat owner, a lot of great info & help. I hope i didn't post this in the wrong section

I'm a 1st time boat owner and am trying to get as much of the proper info on my boat as possible. It's a 1978 Galaxie tri-hull, 200 OMC V/8 (i'm guessing this is going by HP & not CID) The outdrive I'm really not sure of the specs.

I've been around boats all my life and have a solid automotive background but have never owned my own boat or worked on one. (man what I would give now to take up my grandfathers offer to help him with the boats instead of going fishing.....:facepalm:)

I've got the engine up & running & it sounds good but I really don't want to run it too long until I can change the oil in the outdrive.

There is a ton of good info here and I'm sure I've just been looking in the wrong place but right now I'm just looking for the way to correctly ID the outdrive, get the correct oil for the upper & lower drives (If I've been reading right there are 2?) and most importantly....How to correctly change the oil & get the levels right....

I've looked it over and seen about 8 different plugs :eek: (Man they couldn't of figured out a way to add more plugs than that????? LOL) also I didn't find any zerek fittings to grease it....It really seems like there should be some lube points....

I've talked with a few people and figure I have just enough info to be dangerous...:p One bit that didn't make sense was being told on the lower drive I have to fill it from the bottom plug until it comes out the top plug?

I've decided that applying automotive logic to a marine system could prove to be a fatal mistake and I'd better read up....

Any help would be much appreciated. Thx for taking the time to read my post

Brian