Leaking aroung anode and coming out of exhaust bellow

newb7560

Recruit
I have and OMC 86 inboard sterndrive and when in the water it was taking on water but could not tell from where it was coming it.

When we took it out of the water we started to fill the bulge with water (after we took off the upper gear housing). After about 5 mins water started to come out around the anode and then a couple minutes later it started to come out of the exhaust bellow.

Does this sound like I have a problem with the gimbal housing seals? or could it be coming in from someplace else.

Any suggestions would be great appreciated.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Leaking aroung anode and coming out of exhaust bellow

Sounds like you are getting external water intrusion in the exhaust pipe. On the V-8's at least there is a block off plate at the base of the Y that has a seal that can leak. Under NORMAL operations you ARE supposed to get water out of the anode at the transom shield. But that water should be coming from INSIDE the exhaust pipe via your cooling system discharge. If water is coming out the same spot AND the exhaust bellows from filling the bilge, then it's migrating INTO the pipe via a leak someplace.

It would have nothing to do with your gimbal housing seals, especially if it's coming out the bellows also. I could see it being a seal possibly if it only came out the anode since that is the lowest point for it to drip to.

newb7560

Recruit
Re: Leaking aroung anode and coming out of exhaust bellow

Thank you for this information. I will let you know what I find out once I look into exhaust pipe.