Oil Milky in OMC 3 Liter + Over flow from oil cap --Pls Help

idesign

Seaman
guys i have OMC 3 liter.I was driving in lake yesterday and noticed loss in performance.It looked like engine was stall anytime.I opened the engine cover and noticed milky oil overflowed from oil cap on top on engine.That is where i think the oil overflowed and spilled on engine.
The oil is very milky.Looks like water mixed with oil.
Last year it was running fine.The only thing i did this year is i changed the thermostat housing.The original one had broken bolt peice.The new 1 i put was old and rusty inside.I did wd-40 it from inside.can this be problem.is it something else.how did water mix with oil.
Please let me know.Thank you

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Oil Milky in OMC 3 Liter + Over flow from oil cap --Pls Help

You don't say where you live but 99% of the time water was in the block and froze over the winter. Your block is cracked. Sorry.

idesign

Seaman

You don't say where you live but 99% of the time water was in the block and froze over the winter. Your block is cracked. Sorry.
I am 100% sure i winterized properly.i do this every year.I already drove this boat like lots of time this year before problem came yesterday.it was running excellent before problem came yesterday.can u pls see if there is something else that could have caused this problem.Thank you

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

describe you winterizing process because that much water coming out the valve cover is a cracked block

idesign

Seaman

describe you winterizing process because that much water coming out the valve cover is a cracked block

i opened two engine drain plug.i made sure no dirt is blocking water from coming out.it drained all water out.i also open outdrive drain plug.i opened 3 pipes from engine as per manual.then i added -100 antefreeze to all pipes i opened.i made sure the antefreeze is dipping from 2 drain plug i opened and from outdrive drain plug.
i do this every year and it never happend.
pls let me know.thank you
as i said i ran this boat lots of time this year and checked engine few times to make sure it is ok.
pls let me know what could be the problem.could it be gasket some where gone.let me know.thx

idesign

Seaman

My OMC takes SAE30 oil.:Last time i got this oil from OMC dealer.But now i am living in rural area the dealer is too far.can i use 10W-30 auto oil in my OMC.let me know.thank you

Last edited:

idesign

Seaman

any suggestion?

bbgun24

Seaman

I would pull off the intake and take a look. Could be a crack in the intake manifold (if your lucky). I just went through the same problem. I took the intake manifold off cleaned all the "milkshake" from the lifter valley and found a 6" crack in the block. I would think that a bad gasket would not let enough water thru to make it come up thru the valve vents but I could be wrong. Pull the intake and take a look. Pretty easy and quick to do. I usually just get SAE 30 from the local auto store and have never had a problem. Good luck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would pull off the intake and take a look. Could be a crack in the intake manifold (if your lucky). I just went through the same problem. I took the intake manifold off cleaned all the "milkshake" from the lifter valley and found a 6" crack in the block.
He has a 3.0!

bbgun24

Seaman

Yup, my bad. I was thinking 4.3L for some reason. Sorry!!

idesign

Seaman

there is 1 thing i want to mention.the temp gauge was showing almost low.i think it stopped working.
i know it used to work before.it used to be at about 25-40% when i was running in normal speed.is there any cause the temp gauge stopped working.let me know.thx