DP-E transom shield rebuild questions.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm rebuilding a pair of DP-E transom shields and need some advice.

I am having a problem removing the steering fork seal, the one that seals the shaft at the opening. Here's the schematic (#16 in schematic, part number 977313):

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Shie...*****.921289913--store_id.366--view_id.768001

The seal appears to have a metal backing and is pressed into the transom shield, am I correct? How is this removed?

Also, when installing the bushings, do they need to be dry or should I coat them with grease?

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: DP-E transom shield rebuild questions.

Nobody?

I'll be ordering the parts today, so I'll just wait until I see the replacement seal before trying to remove the existing one.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't have the answer for you but have you checked the stickies at the top of this Volvo forum? Go in there, click on Volvo information and there you will find a place that you can down load manuals directly from Volvo. That should tell you exactly how to remove/install the seal in the transom shield.

Many thanks to Don S for compiling all that info.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, but I've checked the manual and it is not covered.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have the same transome shield with a duo prop, , I'm more familier with Mercs than Volvos, , that said I LOVE this Volvo, can I ask why your are rebuilding? Were bushings getting sloppy? Some of my bushings have some slop in them and I'm just wondering how much is too much?

If you take the spindle arm off and remove the two bushings can you push that seal out from the top and inside the boat?
If it were me, I would put a little grease on it upon reassemly enabeling the seal to press in a little easier without galling up the hole in which the seal sits. I would also put a little grease on the lips of the seal kinda like when you rebuild your hubs. But thats just me.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am repowering the boat and have the shields off, so it's a perfect time to rebuild them and put them in "like new" specs.

Yes, one of them had a lot of slop in the steering fork. The bushings seemed to be pretty worn out.

The seal I am talking about sits around the opening of the shield, where the stem of the steering fork enters. The seal is pretty much shot. Once I replace it, I will definitely grease it up. As for the bushings, I'll grease those, too. I noticed, after closer inspection, that they are greased by the nipple on the spindle arm.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, the seal at the steering fork is all rubber, so I've got a good idea of what it's going to take to get it out ... no problem!

Another quick question: When installing the new O rings, should I use silicone grease on them before installation? I've got all the parts and will be doing the rebuild this weekend.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since I have not received any input, I'm assuming nobody knows.

I visited my local Volvo mechanic and bought some parts from him that aren't available on this site, so I asked him my questions. He told me to use trailer bearing grease on the O rings and fork bushings.

He also added that epoxy should be used to install the steering fork busings into the transom assembly. He said this removes any movement from the bushings. The bushings are easily removed in the future with a few taps from a hammer. He was doing one while I was there and showed me the procedure ... good tip, I thought!

Thought I would update the thread, just in case someone else had the same question.