Starter won't stop cranking!

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
Sunday morning, I go to give her a test crank in the driveway.. and the starter won't stop cranking even after the key is turned all the way off and taken out of the ignition! Had to pull the battery cable to get it to stop. When I reconnect, she's fine.. and then repeat process again when I do it again.

Starter solenoid? Ignition switch? Help! Hope my Sunday isn't ruined..

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Starter won't stop cranking!

Look at it step by step: There is only one way that the starter keeps going, the solenoid contact on the starter stays closed. Either the solenoid plunger is sticking or the solenoid stays energized. Find the Y/R wire from the slave solenoid to the starter. Get your voltmeter and read the voltage, key off, should be 0, key on should be 0, start should be battery voltage, back to key on, should drop to 0. If it drops to 0 and the starter keeps cranking it is a mechanical problem with the solenoid. If not I would suspect the slave is staying closed for some reason.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Common problem with starter solenoid that is worn out the copper washer that connects two stud contacts when coil is energized pitts from high starting current over time more irregular surface welds together . washer can spin with armature to make work sometimes but yours sounds like it needs replaced . Grind or drill 4 rivets off and take a look when you get a new one .

kcfromohio

Seaman

Probably slave solenoid probelm. Slave solenoid is located on plate behind engine. Usually just below the curcuit breaker button. Easy fix!

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Replaced solenoid.. still the same. Replaced starter with spare.. problem fixed.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS keep a spare starter motor in the garage in you want to salvage your Sunday! it's happened more than once now..

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Did it have the solonoid mounted on the top of the starter ?