95 Seadoo Xp - newbie help needed

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking for some ideas on getting a 'new to me' XP running (717cc dual carb). The Ski has been sat unused in AZ for 3 years with an empty gas tank.

I checked the oil, added 5 gallons of fresh gas and 2 new spark plugs and dropped some 50:1 mix into the cylinders before turning it over - after a couple of tries it fired up. Very smoky to begin with and then it cleared and ran fine of the hosepipe.

However, when I put it into the water, it would idle but as soon as I gave it some throttle it would die. Pulled it out the lake and it ran fine again.

The ski has been well maintained previously - has very low hours and is in a very clean condition. I pulled the air cleaner and everything was spotlessly clean.

The only thing I noticed was that out of the water, the idle speed was only about 1500rpm - the manual says it should be 3000rpm out of water, 1500 in the water

Would the low idle speed cause the engine to die when I gave it throttle on the lake?

I will raise the idle speed tomorrow but what are the settings for low speed mixture and high speed mixture?

What else should I be checking?

Thanks!!

boatnut1978

Cadet
Re: 95 Seadoo Xp - newbie help needed

Ok. Adjust idle speed will help but you need to have the carbs pulled and rebuilt along with new fuel line (all of it needs replaced) and new fuel filters in the carbs.

Re: 95 Seadoo Xp - newbie help needed

I agree after sitting for that long, and definitly should drain that old oil in there and get some new stuff in there. Rebuild the carbs, replace those ugly grey fuel lines they are nothing but problems. Your high and low speed jets I would leave them alone, they should have plastic tabs on them so you can't turn them very much anyways, i have a set of 787 carbs actually if you are interested in maybe buying them cheap, all it needs is one diaghpram on one carb, I believe needs to be replaced, besides that there are no issues with them. I hope you changed the plugs, you can also pull the spark plug wires out of the boot, and cut them like a quarter of an inch, this will get you a solid connection again. make sure to use premium gas, and good oil, no tcw3 oil. Keep us posted, I've been through it all with these motors.