very stiff steering

Regalrunner

Cadet
I have a friend with a 1992 Rinker with Mercruiser I/O. The power steering fluid is full. The belt is not slipping. Steering has slowly deteriorated over the past few years to now having no power steering at all.<br /><br />Any way to tell if it is the pump or the hydraulic unit?<br /><br />Any advise would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thank you!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: very stiff steering

most likely the cable. most hydraulic problems show up as leaks.<br /> buy a merc service manaul and all the test procedures are in the power steering section.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Bondo

Staff member

Ayah,<br />Disconnect the Steering Cable at the tiller-end,+ See if it's the Cable, or the Steering System.....<br /><br />Probably the Cable.......

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As Bondo says, disconnect the cable where it connects to the outdrive steering arm (tiller). Try turning the wheel, it should turn with little resistance. There is usually a zerk grease fitting that you could try pumping some grease in, it probably will not help, but it's worth a try. Cable replacement is most likely what is needed. It is my opinion that most cable damage is done while the boat is stored and the wheel not turned for months. If you have access to the boat durring storage, once in a while, turn the wheel back and forth. It will help keep keep the cable free.