Water flow problems even after replacing impeller - 95 Evinrude 9.9

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My last impeller had self destructed and lodged chunks of itself up in the water tube that's up above the impeller. I used a coat hanger to sorta "roto root" the rubber and other material out, and quite a bit came out. The boat ran good for two trips but today it quit pissing like it should, the stream is very poor again. I think when I dropped the lower and replaced the impeller I pushed some compressed air backwards through the system and temporarily dislodged some debris or salt, and then after running a while they came back to where they were. Where is the thermostat located and could a blockage here be causing this issue? If that doesn't clear up my issue, what do I do at that point?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Water flow problems even after replacing impeller - 95 Evinrude 9.9

I would remove head just to make sure all of it was out. Ill see if i can find a picture to upload. you can take the lower unit of and put it in a tank and spin the main shaft with a drill to see if impeller is pumping water. just be sure water is just above impeller housing. They are not self priming.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

what model by the way, theres about 20 different ones in that year!.....lol

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

E10RELEOE if I can read the faded tag right. How do I remove the head? I'm fairly mechanical but have never worked on outboards so I apologize for the stupid questions. I will need a new head gasket if I do that correct? Is it fairly labor intensive?

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the thermostat supposed to be under the little cover with 3 bolts that has the wire to the temperature sensor? If so, mine is.. uh.. AWOL or something because there's nothing there.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no not at all! I would suggest you take pictures for reference however. And yes you will need new head gasket post back.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It looks like according to this diagram it's only a few bolts. Almost like I really don't have to remove a whole lot to get in there, right? If so it's worth the peace of mind. I just put it back on the muffs at my house and it seems to get enough water that way, but once I'm out on the water it's not nearly as much flow as it seems like it should be.

http://shop2.evinrude.com/cgi-bin/I...8\14A.tif&ilSC=40&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

one reason is your on constant pressure. Try this, start and allow it to get to operating temperature. Now being very careful place your hand on powerhead. you should be able to hold you hand on it for 10 to 15 seconds. About 140 to 160% Fahrenheit. post back Jim

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I can keep my hand on it a few seconds when it's running on the hose, it doesn't seem to overheat right now, but earlier today on the water it was hardly spitting out any water at all from the tell-tale.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have a clean garbage can, you can also check it that way also while your at home. Just make sure water is above water pump. There not self priming. Post back jim.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well it's pumping water but it's done this several times before. I blow the compressed air through but then it only runs for a day or two before clogging up again. There's got to be buildup or pieces of the old impeller stuck somewhere!

Rick.

Captain

You could pull the stat and try back flushing from there. Use water not air. Water has a better chance of moving the debris out the water tube. You can make a connector to hook your hose to the water tube as well and flush from the tube. Hopefully you can get it without removing the head but if not , removing the head isn't to difficult for you. Best of luck. Rick.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Rick can you tell me where the stat is located? I don't have a service manual yet that tells me where it is. I did try the water tube/hose flushing method twice before when I dropped the lower to inspect/replace the impeller.

AlTn

Commander

marineengine.com...year..hp...model no.....cylinder/crankcase...looks to be where you thought it should be

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah it looks like it SHOULD be behind that cover with the 3 bolts (number 8 in the diagram) but as far as I can tell there is no thermostat there. Water just pours through that passageway and nothing interrupts it. Well hell that's no good at all. It makes me wonder if the previous owner didn't have similar problems and just decide to remove the whole thing. Fawk. I guess that means I'm pulling the head. Maybe the local shop will have the gasket I'm going to need. Reusing the head gasket is probably not a good idea.

49865.gif

Rick.

Captain

It's surprising how many remove the stat for good (or as a temporary measure and never put it back in). Part 8 is the cover. Is there any chance you pinching off the water tube grommet where the water tube enters the pump? I've done it myself more than once. Rick.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah it looks like it SHOULD be behind that cover with the 3 bolts (number 8 in the diagram) but as far as I can tell there is no thermostat there. Water just pours through that passageway and nothing interrupts it. Well hell that's no good at all. It makes me wonder if the previous owner didn't have similar problems and just decide to remove the whole thing. Fawk. I guess that means I'm pulling the head. Maybe the local shop will have the gasket I'm going to need. Reusing the head gasket is probably not a good idea.

49865.gif

Always use new gaskets! Monte. Jim do not hesitate to chime in with any questions. That's what were here for. Good luck.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was pretty careful reinstalling the water tube. It ran great for a couple of days on the water before finally clogging up again, and it's done this two or three times. Runs great and pumps like crazy, but then I think maybe the debris or whatever move to the narrowest point in the passageway and clog it up again. It's really frustrating to think you've got the issue fixed only to have your motor crap out on you again once you're out on the water. I'm almost to the point of wanting to carry some compressed air with me out on the water, ha.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should I also pull off the panel on the right side of the motor where the tell-tale comes out? It looks like I'd have to remove some linkages to get to that point, but is it possible there could be some crap in there too?

Rick.

Captain

No there should be no restrictions behind it. You would have to pull the power head to get it off anyway. This thread is a good testimonial for everyone to change the impeller more frequently. Not meaning to rub salt in you wound. It just proves the ounce of prevention law. Rick.