2002 optimax 135 question

steelhead99

Recruit
I have a 2002 Mercury Optimax 135 outboard. I just got the boat and have no manuel for it. Is this motor a 2 or 4 stroke?? what kind of oil do I need for this thing? the resavoir is full but I want to have a gallon on board in case. Any info is GREATLY appreciated guys.
Thanks in advance :)

mjhach

Cadet
Re: 2002 optimax 135 question

Hi. I have a 2002 Opti 150 HP. This style engine is a Direct Fuel Injection modification of the 2-cycle design, wherein, the fuel is atomized with about 100psi air injection and a 2-zone combustion process, very different from any other 2-stroke out there. The fuel economy is fantastic. Your are required to use the specially formulated Optimax 2-stroke oil in the reservoir - DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE. I experienced a few "rough" spots on acceleration, but apparently this is the way it runs and it is a bit noisier than other engines, but you get used to it and the characteristic "howl" it makes when running. I have never had a starting problem with mine. Plugs do tend to foul a little more than I thought they should, so I remove them and special solvent clean them, regap, if necessary and reinstall annually. If you decide to replace them, they are about $10-20 each. Do not use an alternative cheaper plug, it's not worth it. There is a Mercury cleaner that you add to the fuel tank called Quickkleen or something like that which I've started using this year and it seems to allow the engine to run cleaner and very smooth. Hope this helps. Contact me directly if you like - I have a lot of story to tell and done a lot of legwork and letter writing to learn about mine. mjhach@gmail.com