1978 115 evinrude wont run on the lake but will on garden hose.

DEERSLAYER2000

Seaman Apprentice
Haul it to the lake, start it and it might idle 2 minutes. It dies and won't start, I check for spark and has none. Bring it back to the house and hook the hose and muffs to it and its park in 100 degree sun and idles fine.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 115 evinrude wont run on the lake but will on garden hose.

First thing to do is check the compression to make sure you have something to work with. If okay go for the ignition system. Get an open air gap spark tester and see if it jumps a 7/16" gap. If not you have ignition probs.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a similar problem but it turned out to be poor connections and grounds. Sometimes it would run fine at my house but as soon as I trailered it to the water it wouldn't start! It drove me mad until I realized I had an intermittent problem with a corroded switch.

DEERSLAYER2000

Seaman Apprentice

thanks jim311 where was your bad connection? I've looked at everything but the right place

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The first thing I would do, is what Boobie suggested. Check compression and post results. You might be trying to chase a rabbit blind!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just for sh*ts and giggles, have you ever tried to start just pryor to dumping it in the water? I know its a big NO NO to do that, but just a thought? If it does and then wont in the water, i suspect you have an exhaust problem.

DEERSLAYER2000

Seaman Apprentice

yeah I've done that at the house and at the ramp and it fires then put it in the water and it runs for a few minutes then quits, except for today, I took it out this morning and it ran for about 5 miles, not getting to far from the ramp and it just died like turning the key off.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You need a inductive timing light. When engine dies or starts acting up, check to see if you have a good strobe. at least we will know if it's electrical or not. post results. NOTE: check all plug wires.

DEERSLAYER2000

Seaman Apprentice

ok I'll try and find a timing light tomorrow. Thanks for the help

DEERSLAYER2000

Seaman Apprentice

OK Got a timing light and the motor is in time on land with the muffs. I took it to the lake yesterday and had fire on the ramp, Back it in the water and it ran 45 seconds and died like I shut the key off. Pulled it back out and I checked all connections again, pos and neg. turned the key and it fired, backed it into the water and no fire. Done this 4 times and same thing till the last and had no fire at all. Pulled it home and hit the key and fired right up. I put the muffs on and it ran 15 min with no problem. Came home today and still starts and runs fine. I don't have a clue what look at now. Please help

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

I would like to suggest setting the idle a little higher. When running on muffs it should sound like it is idling too fast. When you put it in the water the extra back pressure on the exhaust from the water will cause the idle speed to drop way down. Really the only difference between muffs and lake is back pressure on the exhaust.