Rough glass boat, need direction. where to start? and what materials to use?

slapsley

Recruit
My 15' Glasscraft Citation is rough to say the least. it's been in the family since new (1958) and would like to get everything up to snuff. I just don't know where to start. Should i separate the cap and what does this involve? Pitfalls to watch for and materials and techniques to get started would be appreciated. I'm brand new to marine life, so any info would be helpful. I'm posting pics of the most troubled areas (that I can see) Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• front seat close.jpg
    front seat close.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 0
  • boat hull underneath3.jpg
    boat hull underneath3.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • boat transom close.jpg
    boat transom close.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat hull underneath2.jpg
    boat hull underneath2.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
  • under trim closeup.jpg
    under trim closeup.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rough glass boat, need direction. where to start? and what materials to use?

Welcome to iBoats!

An overall picture of the boat would be a big help. First off I totally understand Sentimental value, but be AWARE, there is a cost to these Old Beauties, even trying to do it "On the Cheap" can add up pretty fast. From the looks of the pics you have posted you will be doing a total restoration of the boats substructure. That is the Hull Stringers, Transom and Deck/Sole. You also have a lot of Fiberglass repair to do if you want to make her Really look new. All of this can be done by a total amateur with the help of all the guys here on the fourm, but it does take time, effort and money. If you are willing to invest all of these then you can and will be successful.

Here's what I recommend to get started....

Strip everything out of her, remove the motor, remove the rubrail, remove the topcap,and let the destruction begin.
I have included some drawings on how I recommend fabricating Stringers, Transom and Deck using Ext. Grade FIR plywood or Marine Grade. I also recommend using Polyester Resin, 1.5oz Chopped Strand Mat and either 24oz Woven Roving or 1708 Biaxial Cloth. A good online source for your supplies is www.uscomposites.com 10 gallons of resin 15 yards of CSM and 10 yards of WR or 1708 1 gallon of Cabosil, 1 qt of chopped fibers (for making thickened resin for filleting and gluing) is a good start. PL Premium Construction adhesive for Bedding your stringers.

Safety Equipment - Tyvek Suit, GOOD Respirator(full face preferred)(not dust masks), Goggles if NOT full faced, Latex and Leather Gloves, Talcum Powder(keeps the itching down)

Destruction Equipment - Circular Saw, 4 1/2" Grinder with Backup Pad and 36 grit sanding Discs, Pry Bars, chisels, hammers, Random Orbit Sander

I'm sure there's more.

Keep posting pics and questions and we'll be here to help you all along the way.

(Click the pics to enlarge)

pencil.png

Welcome Aboard!!!!

slapsley

Recruit
Re: Rough glass boat, need direction. where to start? and what materials to use?

Wow, those diagrams are perfect. I do commerical mechanical construction (sheet metal worker) so pictures and diagrams are immensly helpful. Here are some pics of the full boat...

Attachments

• bow top view.jpg
    bow top view.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat starboard full.jpg
    boat starboard full.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat front view.jpg
    Boat front view.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 0
  • side 3quarter.jpg
    side 3quarter.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat rear full.jpg
    boat rear full.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

slapsley

Recruit

Now correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the stringers the longitudinal braces running fore to aft? I don't think this boat actually has any (if that's possible?). are you suggesting then that I put them in? if so, this doesn't seem a feasible option seeing as how the floor is already high compared to the seats. or can stringers run port to starboard instead of longitudinally? sorry about all the ?s, but the last one is: what is the process to remove the topcap? the rubrail's removed and all it's screws as well. on the sides, the topcap seems to be attached via philips-head screws, but the bow end have vertically-opposed rivets. I know i can drill these out, but is there any adhesive likely to be contended with once the mechanical fasteners are removed? if so, how do i facilitate the topcap removal? This is an OLD BRITTLE boat. Thanks in advance

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Can you take a pic of the inside of the boat but not too close. Is there no DECk? You are correct about the Stringers. Remove all visible connectors for the top cap. and see if you can lift it off. MOST mfg's did not use resin tabbing to connect the caps but... some did maybe you'll luck out. If they did you will have to use a chisel or sawzall or some other device to cut her loose. Don't worry it's done all the time. PITA but you'll get there.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

wow.... a winged beauty !

do searches here.....you can find out how to do the windsheild out of thick plexi glass.

your boat has stringers....yes...they are the fore and aft thingys.....

you will have to do some gellcoat work.....matching the color will be tough......i personally would restore the gellcoat and not paint it......id go stock as a rock with that one.

you have some reading to do here.....this is boat university....your restoration is not hard to do....but as you allready know......its a total resotration.

the link in my sig can help you with techinical info

slapsley

Recruit

Okay, I've done a little looking and poking/prodding and all i can figure is what follows: it seems there is a central stringer with a square cross-section on the outside, and a concave, almost v-shaped channel (of sorts) on the inside. it feels as if there is only one surface between the floor and the "non-stringer" areas of the outside of the hull. there are also 2 stringers of half-round cross-section that run from approx. a foot back from the central stringer to the transom. is it possible there is a central stringer of unknown material that runs VERY shallow in depth and/or 2 additional stringers of halved dowel rod or fiberglass rope glassed over to produce the 3 "stringers" i can see? it just ABSOLUTELY seems that cutting along side any of the stringers would hit outside air and not a pocket between layers as i've seen on the above link. Clutching at straws here and really concerned about making things worse. also, do the stringers absolutely need replacing given the condition of the glass? should i drill first and see the material that's removed? Again, thank you in advance.

Attachments

• stringers running forward.jpg
    stringers running forward.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
  • stringers start inside.jpg
    stringers start inside.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • stringer rear seats to transom.jpg
    stringer rear seats to transom.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0
  • stringer central middle section.jpg
    stringer central middle section.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
  • stringer central outside.jpg
    stringer central outside.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yep....there is a cenral stringer. that is the big dirt line in the center of the boat....also ....those two humps a foot from centerline are glass stringers.
a fifteen footer in the olden days was very strong. so on such a short boat....the need for beefed up stringers wasnt as nessary as today.

measure your deck height.....subtract the thickness of the wood....that will give you the height of the central stringer.
i would also make cross frames every 4 feet......this will give you something to screw the new deck to at 4 foot centers.