Engine alignment - no more adjustment.

WSUDERMAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I started doing an alignment on my drive this morning things were going well, and I was getting close. The alignment tool is sliding in easy, Not as easy as was shown on the video in the adults section but still requires very little force.
It was still showing spline tracks on top of the tool and not bottom so I was still adjusting it down when Bump, I ran out of adjustment, it was down as far as it would go. From what I can see there is no more adjustments on the front mounts so I am not sure where to go from here, Any advise?

Wes

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine alignment - no more adjustment.

What are we working on?

Don S

Why were you doing this alignment? Was the engine out? new transom? New stringer?

Might also turn the crankshaft 180? and see if the alignment gets better or worse.

WSUDERMAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

engine out for transom seal replacement & will do. Thx Don

WSUDERMAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rotate 180 = a bit more even tracks but still heavy on top.

Why were you doing this alignment? Was the engine out? new transom? New stringer?

Might also turn the crankshaft 180? and see if the alignment gets better or worse.

Don S

Was the transom soft/rotten?

WSUDERMAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, very solid. It was a strike that moved the transom and broke the seal. After I reinstalled the transom I noticed it was a bit lower then before based on the outline above the helmet of the shield, but it was only about 1/8th off so I figured there would be enough adjustment to compensate.

Don S

After I reinstalled the transom I noticed it was a bit lower then before based on the outline above the helmet of the shield, but it was only about 1/8th off so I figured there would be enough adjustment to compensate.

There's your problem.

WSUDERMAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL! Thanks Don, I was really looking for a solution other than pulling the motor again and moving the transom sheild up, some magical Oracle secret :)

WSUDERMAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the record, my creative solution was to hoist up the front of the engine so i could get the adjustment nuts off. I then ground them down, about 1/16 off each side. droped the motor down and Bam - perfect alignment.

LOL! Thanks Don, I was really looking for a solution other than pulling the motor again and moving the transom sheild up, some magical Oracle secret :)