Tilt/Trim Question for 90 Force

twhite11

Cadet
We've had our boat for about 5 years and have had an ongoing battle with the tilt/trim. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. We've taken it to a couple of different places to fix it. They always do "something", but it never quite fixes the problem. I believe my husband has changed the relays, but not sure. I'm ready to just buy another hydraulic pump...if that's the right part. Is that what I'm looking for? I'm tired of waiting on getting this fixed correctly. Thanks to anyone who can help.

RRitt

Captain
Re: Tilt/Trim Question for 90 Force

relays, wire connections, and debris are the only common things that cause intermittent failure. Your 5 year history points toward relay or electrical connector. Debris usually doesn't dislodge with taking system apart.

twhite11

Cadet

Hubby says he can hear the click in the relay, but it still won't go up and down...not all the time anyway. Could that still be a connection? Relays were changed out last year.

RRitt

Captain

relay is a remopte control switch.
clicking noise is the switch flipping.
just like lights in your house, you can flip the switch even when power is out.

twhite11

Cadet

When he holds down the button that says up or down...it goes...click click click click ....etc. I know that sounds elementary...the switch doesn't make that noise, the noise is coming from the relay area. By the way...he just broke the ignition switch...went and bought a new one...put it on and now the motor won't kick in...it will try to run, but won't. oh me.

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

go to your local parts store.. take your old relay with you I believe its a 5 pin relay... It wont have the holder for the screw but u can get the relays as a test there about 2 bucks each replace both of them and then retest your tilt/trim.... as for your ignition problem... Tell your HUBBY he put a wire on the wrong terminal recheck then all

twhite11

Cadet

Thanks...are you saying the parts store can test the relays to see if they are good or not? Or is this just a different part that I can use to test the tilt/trim? Little confused on your statement. Told hubby he put a wire on the wrong terminal and he said he probably did. Not very enthusiastic about working on my boat!