Hello fellow mariners,need your expertise 81 evinrude 115,miss

captwanabe

Cadet
so far i have replaced all fuel lines, rebuilt fuel pump, bought new carbs, new power pack, plugs, plug wires,i have a even 105 psi in all cylinders,in line fuel filter, when i went to buy the motor the guy ran it on a bench and it ran perfect, 2 months later i mounted on my boat. i spent about 6 months re-wiring the boat and a few other things went to finish with the motor now all is done and when it idles it starts missing to the point it kills the motor high rpm it sounds good, i dont see any case leaks, i have had a hard time with the recirculation routing cant find any diagrams there are four barbs on each of the cylinder sides and four on the carb. case i was told to "y" the top of the two top barbs to the bottom carb side barb and same with bottom barbs to the top barbs on carb. case i dont know if it right or not or if that would cause the problem?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Hello fellow mariners,need your expertise 81 evinrude 115,miss

you should stop guessing and start eliminating possible causes..test your ignition.. follow links below

levi_tsk

Ensign

i agree.... follow those trouble shooting steps and youll eventually find the problem

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Your idle miss may be a "lean sneeze". An occasional, intermittent miss at idle. That could be dried fuel in the idle passages inside the carb bodies. If so, this is corrected by ovehauling the carbs. Not an ignition problem.

captwanabe

Cadet

is that the passages under the plugs? if so how do you remove plugs and can they be re-used? also im ordering the device for peak voltage for my volt ohm so i can chec voltage thank you for the info it seems to be very usefull

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The passages inside the carbs are accessed when the carbs are completely disassembled. Some good carb cleaner, like a Gumout product works well. Not unusual for these passages to accumlate dried fuel if stored for long periods of time-like over a winter season.

captwanabe

Cadet

hay sparkie b thanks for snapping me out of that wineing mode and the great info i studied the heck out of that info went out to the boat and found 1 bad ign. coil, im a industriel machine mechanic by trade, i didnt think i was ready for stator and cdi trailblazing but it ended up looking worse than what it was after you start to understand whats what anyway if you werent all the way out there in georgia id invite you fishing, thanks.
my last concern is recirculation hose routing,:D i have 2 barbs per cylinder on the bypass case and 4 barbed check valves on the intake side i have 2 repair manuels and they both say "remember how they were so you can put them back the same way"
these were not hooked up when i got it, any ideas mr sparkie b?:rolleyes:

SparkieBoat

Captain

you are very welcome, it is very easy to accurately diagnose outboards when you know how and what to check, a $30 DVA adapter and free guide is all that is keeping most people from being able to save Thousands of $$$ and days/weeks and sometimes months of their boat stuck in a repair shop with a mechanic who probably does not know much more than they do. some outboard mechanics that I have met do not even know what a DVA adapter is..go figure. Glad the info was helpful, you should become the most popular person in among all of your boat friends/relatives now. LOL
I do not think it is all important how the recirc hoses are hooked up, you should be able to take your best guess and be ok...if not you will have to find another motor like it and take a picture..any 80s model 85-115 should be the same.