stick steering question

swampbelly

Recruit
Bought my first stick steer and it takes alot of pressure forward and back to turn the motor.The cable attaches to a point on the front of the 35 hp seahorse. Was wondering if there was a bracket missing that would put the cable attachment further in front of the motor for better LEVEREAGE.? There are small tapped holes on each side of the attachment point. Could that be for a bracket that would allow the cable to attach further out? Cable seems to be lubricated and okay. Any help much appreciated.

levi_tsk

Ensign
Re: stick steering question

take the cable linkage loose from the motor rock the motor back and forth theres a screw under there that tightens and loosens the tension on the swivel shaft make sure its fairly loose also make sure while the cables unhooked that youve got VERY little resistance moving the stick steer back and forth lock to lock an grease the swivel shaft and tilt bracket while youre there

swampbelly

Recruit

Thanks levi, sounds like a good place to start. I'll have to find the swivel shaft and tension screw, as am not up to speed on outboards. Should the motor turn from stop to stop without much resistance, with the cable off? About too hot here in southern al. to work on it. Hot in ga. too i suppose.

levi_tsk

Ensign

yeah its should turn with almost NO resistance same with the stick steer mechanism

boobie

Supreme Mariner

For what it's worth. I've see those stick steer boxes come through with absolutley no lube in them what so ever.