Tstat or Deflectors??

pieman22

Cadet
Well about to start the Tstat replacement project tomorrow in my 115 V4( much knuckle busting expected) then this morning a buddy tells me it might be my water deflectors causing the overheat....WTH! Called a local mechanic and he said the heads have to be removed to check the deflectors. Question: is this true and is there a tell-tell way to determine if my problem is Tstat vs deflectors? I have the repair manual for this model but cannot find where and how to repair water deflectors... Most tell me always start with Tstat and then worry about the latter if overheat problem continues.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Tstat or Deflectors??

anything that can clogg or get blocked in the water system can cause over heating....

and both of those things you mention are culprits....

id do the t-stats, and then see if that worked...if not then pop the heads and look at the water deflectors....if it was used in salt water, pour some dawn dish detergent into your garden hose and then hook it up to muffs and run the motor ...you will run the detergent through your cooling system , hopefully dissolving some salt deposits.....

good luck

bob

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tstat or Deflectors??

Great tip with the dish detergent! Thanks Bob!